1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any jewelry gurus out there?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mandelyn, Dec 2, 2010.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    We went to an auction last night, and husband bought this...

[​IMG]

It's Sterling and Hematite, and I can't find anything similar with any kind of price range to see if we got a good deal. I mean, we paid about nothing for it, but I want to know!

I've been looking all morning, trying to figure out if it's special or not.

There is an E (<--- printed just like that) across from the sterling mark. I think it's plated since it doesn't say a silver content. But I'm not sure... I'm a furniture and glassware buyer!

Research got me all excited because the E mark I could find meant a brief early 1940's mark by Eisenberg. But this piece reflects nothing that they make! They're all about the bling costume stuff and this is not high shine bling. But they did make some weird stuff, nothing was a slave bracelet.

So, I'm trying to find out what this E mark means when not speaking of Eisenberg, since I highly doubt it is that. The auction has it out separate instead of with a lot, but they didn't say anything about it and we got it cheap.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Look for a 95 stamped somewhere on it.

Based on prices for hematite these days, I would put the value around $150.00, more if it is solid and not plated silver.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  3. mandelyn

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    The first thing I did was look all over it for marks. Nothing about it's content, so how do you find out if it's plated or not? Everything at the auction marked with it's content sold high. This didn't, because it isn't marked and so it's not a sure bet.

If it's solid, I'll sell it. If it isn't, I'll save it for Ren-fest costume accessory. Or save it anyways since it was cheap.

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles &amp; Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I've seen similar bracelets. I'd price it around $40. Most I've seen were silver plate.

If you have a quality antique dealer in your area, try taking it and asking them what they think.

Next time I see one in a catalog I'll let you know.

5. mandelyn

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    $40 is what I was thinking too, but I wanted to be sure in case it was something other than I thought it was.

6. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I had something very similar to this. I wish I remember more about it. I think it was Sarah Coventry. had to of been in the late 60's early 70's. But I don't think her jewelry had an E on it. I think we called them slave bracelets.

ETA: Google Slave Bracelet, maybe you can narrow your search.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by