Any knowledge on what to NOT buy when getting round hay bale?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickchoon1, Dec 26, 2014.

1. chickchoon1

chickchoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    I am needing grass hay(have 6 weeks worth left but want to get it NOW before any bad weather!) and need cheap so am getting a round bale HOPEFULLY nearby. Ad says 2nd cutting(so it was done earlier this summer?) and its netted(There is grass growing out of bale?) so obviously stored outside and 5' bale is $35 so its cheap enough but am concerned with grass growing(may be good? doubt it but....) again, money is MAJOR concern so as long as the hay isn't potentially deadly I don't care(pet horse,excellent weight already) Thanks for any knowings!!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you can look at it, the worst thing is to have anything with thorns like berry briars or thorny vines. Whenever we baled an area with thorny things growing, the cattle and horses wouldn't eat the hay. Rub your hands all around the bale and reach inside. It shouldn't stick you. It should also be dry inside or it could be molded.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  3. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    And HOW do I get my hand inside?I I can over and underthink things so I envision having to get a chainsaw or just looking at top 2 inches(which would dry faster than the inside, if wet) Guess you just take the chance if theres no referral from someone thats bought. Not to mention waiting for someone to call you back. Made a call to "hay for sale" sign 300 yards up the road from me and never got a re after 2 calls so am trying another farm about 4 miles away and I will wait until tomorrow and call yet another place if the ad from today doesn't call by tomorrow.Had my own 3 acre hay field 15 yrs ago and that was so nice. Its all of the thorny things you mentioned, now, so I am sure hay cutters hate my property.

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Things may be different here in the UK but there is no way I would buy hay that had grass growing out of it, especially if it is to feed to a horse. Grass can only grow if there is moisture and that means it will be foisty inside. Mould spores can cause COPD and as horses are fussy eaters it may not even eat the hay, in which case you will have wasted your money anyway.
    It is better to buy the best quality fodder you can afford for a horse from a reputable source, than risk a vets bill in my opinion.
    I also want to be sure there will be no ragwort in it. Again, this comes down to buying from a reputable farmer rather than actually being able to see what's in the bale..... perhaps you don't have ragwort in the USA though. Perhaps you have other toxic weeds.

Most importantly, it should smell good. If you put your nose to it and take a deep breath and it doesn't smell nice, then don't buy it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  5. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    I am probably just going to drive a bit further to the ad that had barn stored round bales. Was $5 more but I will risk it and smell,fondle their hay and decide(IF they call me back!). TY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by