Any last words of advice? Moving my broody tonight

L1sa

Songster
Jan 25, 2017
South Australia
I have had disasterous attempts at moving broodies in the past, and they always ended up back in the main nest box, but they then went on to have disasterous hatches. So I'm determined to get it right this time.

My new broody has been broody for about 4 days. I have pre prepared the maternity coop already, (Its quite lucky that my last broody only vacated it last week with her brood of chicks). I haven't given her any fertile eggs yet, I want to get her moved and settled first. My plan is to move her tonight and just block her in for the night. The interior of the coop is about 2ftx2ft, so she's got free choice to choose a spot to nest. Do you think that will work? And do I give her blank eggs to settle down with or just leave her to nestle herself in? Do I put some food and water in with her or wait until tomorrow?

Thankyou.

IMG_4193.JPG
IMG_4194.JPG

I have had disasterous attempts at moving broodies in the past, and they always ended up back in the main nest box, but they then went on to have disasterous hatches. So I'm determined to get it right this time.

My new broody has been broody for about 4 days. I have pre prepared the maternity coop already, (Its quite lucky that my last broody only vacated it last week with her brood of chicks). I haven't given her any fertile eggs yet, I want to get her moved and settled first. My plan is to move her tonight and just block her in for the night. The interior of the coop is about 2ftx2ft, so she's got free choice to choose a spot to nest. Do you think that will work? And do I give her blank eggs to settle down with or just leave her to nestle herself in? Do I put some food and water in with her or wait until tomorrow?

Thankyou.

View attachment 1570396 View attachment 1570397

Yeah, you should give her blank eggs. Are you going to get her fertile ones to sit on, or adopt chicks too her?
Otherwise your plan should work :)

:pop

Thankyou.

View attachment 1570396 View attachment 1570397

The deed is done!! And apparently with little effort. :celebrateIt's dark, she was asleep, I scooped her up, picked up her blank eggs shoved them in and she followed. Shut the door. And I was done! 20 seconds!! Hardly any noise from her. My last couple of broodys squawked like banshees when I tried to move them, but this time seemed different. :fl:fl:fl

Just went out to check on her after a full night in her new nest.... and all is calm! She seems super settled. :wee I'm so relieved, this broody hatch should hopefully go well.

Yayyyy.

Awesome! Broodies are so exciting! I've got one sitting on the following:
4 Polish eggs (mottled, blue crested white, and two mysteries)
3 Old English Game Bantam eggs(silver duckwing)
3 Pekin eggs (splash and blue)
2 Salmon Faverolle eggs
2 Easter Egger eggs
And whew, that's it!

Oh, we also have Butter the hen sitting on twenty more...

Keep us updated on how your broody goes, what breed fertile eggs are you getting?

Back
Top Bottom