any left-handed guitar players out there?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lothiriel, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I'm left-handed. I would really like to play the guitar but I'm not sure if i should get a left-handed one or a regular. Three of my friends play guitar, and I tried one of theirs (right-handed), and I found it easier than left-handed (I turned the guitar around and tried it the other way). Does anyone have a suggestion as to if I should just stick to right-handed or go to left-handed?

2. ChickenBreath

ChickenBreath Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2007
    Aura, Michigan
    I don't have much experience with left-handed guitar players, but I can tell you this; the lead guitar player in our band writes left-handed, but plays the guitar right-handed. I asked him about that once, and he said that a right-handed guitar was all that was available when he first started playing. He just learned right-handed, that's all. In short, I guess we now know of one left-handed person that plays right-handed. I hope that helps.

3. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking about doing. I write and eat with my left hand, but I do some other things with my right. THANK YOU!!!

4. ChickenBreath

Nov 18, 2007
    Aura, Michigan
    My pleasure. The best advise I could give you is to start slow, relax and have fun. Learn those first two or three simple chords and find a song to play. If you do that, you'll be hooked.

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I am a lefty to and so is DH. I write like a right handed person but can not do any thing else with my left hand. When I was in high school I played outfeilder on the softball team, so when I caught the ball I would have to take my glove off to throw the ball. I bowl with my left hand Dh bowls with his right.

6. ChickenBreath

Nov 18, 2007
    Aura, Michigan
    nccountrygirl wrote: "If wishes were horses beggars would ride and if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their butts. Ann Taylor Bell - my mom"

Interesting, nc. Your mom and I share the same last name. I wonder if we're in any remote way related?

ChickenBreath, aka. Randy Bell

7. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    ChickenBreath, thats my maiden name so it came fron my dads side, he was from Charleston SC, he was in the Army so you never know, we might be related. [​IMG]

8. doc_gonzo

doc_gonzo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2007
    Evening Shade, Ar
    i play right handed but absolutely everything else i do is left handed. i think that a lefty has an advantage on the fretboard of a righty guitar ie more dexterity and a firmer bar chord. it's just training the darn retarded right hand what string to pick. hehe

cheers

doc

9. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Yeah, I thought about that. [​IMG] But I think it would be fine. Thanks!

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    My son plays a right handed guitar upside down with the left hand Jimi Hendrix style.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by