Any legal advice out there??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ravencreek, May 12, 2009.

1. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Ok so the PEST isn't bothering my chickens..However he is bothering my MIL's dogs. Ok here is the story, its kinda long so just bare with me. I want to cover all my bases here.

My MIL raises UKC Blue Tick Coonhounds. She is a very responsible breeder and only breeds her females when there is a high demand and there are at least 8 pups paid for before the breeding. If not enough paid pups then NO breeding. If extras are born, well if you know anything about Champion Blue Ticks you would know that (especially in East TN) they go FAST. Anyway, She keeps all her dogs in concreted pens that the chainlink is actually buried in the concrete. So no accidental puppies. Dogs are kept in pairs and she only has 2 males and 6 females. Aside from the normal kennels she has 3 heat pens. They are even more secure as they have chainlink covered tops to prevent males from climbing into the pens and again the chainlink is in concrete.

Now here is the problem. Her neighbor has 2 intact male dogs that run loose. I will refrain from telling breed to keep any unneeded comments at bay. These dogs are ALWAYS on her property and even if she calls and tells the neighbor to call them home or come get them he always tells her to mind her own business and the dogs will come back when they are ready. Or he will tell her that they are not his dogs that they belong to his son and he isn't home. She tries to shoo them back home but they run a lil ways then stop and sit there. Now they typically aren't a problem even overly friendly until she has a female in heat. When she does the males become aggressive and she can't even go out to feed her own dogs. Now she could shoot them but chooses not too as they are dogs and she understands that they are just that.

Oh and a helpful bit of info...Since we live in Polk County and do not have a shelter or animal control the neighboring counties WILL NOT come out to help nor can we surrender a dog to them.

Now my questions are...

1. If the dogs were neutered would it keep them from being aggressive when a female is in heat?
    2. Is it illegal to take someone elses dog and have it fixed without their consent if its running at large?
    3. Should she contact law enforcement on the issue and what exactly would she be filing?
    4. Is there anything she can try to maybe get the males to not be so aggressive during the time of the heat cycles?

Sorry this was so long. She is just at her wits end over these dogs. She loves them just as much as her own but can't take the behavior anymore.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    1 - dogs will be dogs. They will still be sniffing around.
    2 - That's walking a fine line
    3 - I would, especially if there is no animal control. The sheriff's can come out and assess the situation. The neighbor's can be sited for any number of reasons, and if the dogs are found without their licenses or rabies boosters, the dogs are gone immediately.
    4 - If she doesn't want to employ the SSS method, alter it a little bit. Get a low powered BB gun (daisy lever action is what I use) to hit the dogs in the rump. It stings, but doesn't harm or hurt the dog severely. It is on par with touching an electric fence.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:1. Maybe, maybe not
    2. It is most likely illegal
    3. Yes
    4. Not much is going to stop a determined male when a female is in heat

We have one neighbor that has been irresponsible with his dogs. Another neighbor has shot the dogs repeatedly with a pellet gun, but they still kept coming back. Legal action was the only thing that worked. If you don't want to SSS, and can't take them to a shelter, how about a rescue group? Maybe she could contact a rescue group 100 miles away and say that she found them running stray and hasn't been able to find them a suitable home. That's not totally untrue. They are stray and they are not in a suitable home. Keep in mind though that could be looked at as stealing the dogs and probably not the best solution. I would advise the neighbor in writing that the dogs are a nuisance and must be kept on their own property or legal action will be taken. Then everytime they come over take a picture and call the sheriff. The neighbor isn't going to like it. Most irresponsible dog owners get crabby when they are called out on it, but it is better to have a po'd neighbor than have Mom constantly stressed or possibly injured.

4. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I don't know the laws in Tenn, but I am concerned about her safety when feeding her own dogs. [​IMG] I would be armed while feeding the dogs just in case. It isn't fair that the dogs are changing her habits on her property. Tell her to be safe and if she doesn't like the idea of being armed, atleast have someone else with her. I know what I would do but that is just me. I live in rural Georgia and the laws may be different. Tell her good luck!!

5. zippy11455

zippy11455 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Maybe you mom can't shoot them so how about getting someone else to come and do it?

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    SSS.

7. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    paint ball gun.
    pepper spray.
    ammonia water balloons.
    law enforcement.

8. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Removing the dogs would be the best bet. Otherwise, they will never stop returning, since the neighbor seems oblivious. Dogs can breed through chainlink or tear holes in it. If your county doesn't have an animal shelter, I don't understand why the neighboring county would refuse to accept the dog.

We don't have a shelter in our county and I have on several occasions had to deliver dropped off cats & kittens to the shelter in the next county. Never been an issue. I do live in a different state (these are all ASPCA shelters).

9. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I would defintely call the county sheriff in and tell them there's an aggressive dog on her property and she's in fear of her safety, they will come for that.

10. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Call the sheriff to come out when they ARE in heat and the males are aggressive and THEY will shoot them for you. Our Sherriff said they couldn't dispatch a weapon unless the dog was aggressive in front of them, otherwise for me to shoot them. Now that's the livestock law in MS, if they are harrassing your livestock (poultry included) kill them, nobody can say a word if they are on your property. Take pics and video so there is NO arguments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by