Any Lorikeet Breeders Pls Help>>> Mum Killing New Hatched Chick

bemba

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Mary Valley QLD.
I know this is a poultry site , but some of you surely have other birds? Well my red collared lorikeet hen has a taste for newly hatched chicks
barnie.gif
And I don't know why! anyway this pair have had 3 other clutches and all with the same result. The eggs started pipping yesterday morning, so I took them out and put them in the bator! one is nearly out
wee.gif
but how do I care for such a tiny new helpless chick? I have done handraising from day 10 but never this young........... ITS A LONG SHOT BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY I really don't want them to die
sad.png

I have hand fed supplementally, baby pacific parrotlets, just to get them along far enough so the parents would kick in and feed them a day or two later when the others hatched, new parents...

I got the food warm and just put a drop of it on my finger and let their beak sorta lay sideways on the drop and they gulped it up on their own... The filled their crops pretty fast that way and none aspirated.

So sorry you are having problems with your birds. Bad parents often have offspring that are bad parents, so you may be doing this again next year with the next generation... might want to consider re-homing that pair if you want to breed. Rough deal for you. Did you buy tham as a breeder pair? If you did, and someone dumped their problem on you I'd be asking for some $ back. Breeder in cludes FEEDING THIER BABIES.. not just hatching a fertile egg.

Thanks for the advice! Well the cock bird we got as a weanling 9 years ago, then when he was 7 i got a baby rainbow lorikeet to handraise, perfect exept she fell in love with the red collared lorikeet cock bird instead of me!, and not long later we had red collared rainbow crosses
barnie.gif
they were both excellent parents and were very protective of the young, but just one problem..... they were different species ( or at least sub species) so I sold the rainbow to a guy who had a lonely girl, and I bought an olive red collared hen for my boy. She is a nightmare...... I mean if she were human she would be in a mental institution. I won't be able to sleep tonight worriying about this baby.

It's been a few years since I had to hand feed baby parrots. Make sure that the feed is warm and not too hot because the baby's crop can be easily burned. Don't microwave it because you can get hot spots in the middle. Make sure to stir the food well after warming to make sure it is all an even temp. I used a digital medical thermometer to make sure it wasn't too hot.

How I get my food warm for tiny babies is I warm up a glass of water to the right temperature and use a little three cc syringe and fill it with formula and put the syringe in the water for thirty seconds or a minute, that way , no hot spots ever. Be careful because there will be a drop of water at the tip of the syringe from being submerged. Push that out before you try to feed or the baby might drown. Or touch the syringe tip to the paper towel. Speaking of paper towel, I find the babies eat better if they are kind of snugly but so they can still breathe easily, wrapped in the dry paper towel like a little cocoon. makes them feel safe and they start eating faster and stick with it longer. Good luck with your baby, and sell or re-home that hen, but let people know she is not a good mama. She sounds like she will never be a good mama.
sad.png
At least the dad is proven. If you can just get a good hen...

Well 'Steggles' is three weeks old today
celebrate.gif
He is a very strong healthy chick..... he has so much character even at his age!!!! Unfortunately the other egg died in the shell
sad.png
but I am so exstatic about this miracle baby. Can't wait to see what colour he is as mum is an olive!

Back
Top Bottom