Any luck curing vent gleet??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zanna, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Through the years I have had several young chickens with vent gleet, seems at least one or two a year (I have a large flock and constantly incorporating up and comers). My first one years back I kept for a year and a half, keeping her feathers trimmed, washing her butt frequently, giving her yoghurt, probiotics, etc. She always smelled so bad and did not grow and prosper like the other flock mates so I eventually, sadly culled her. It was obvious she was never going to lay an egg and looked like she would eventually waste away and did I mention her smell??? Well, I made it a point that I would only go on with one like her for a month or two and then cull before I got too attached to them. I currently have a 10 week old BCM roo with the same problem. He looks like a very promissing guy and seems to be prospering (sp?) so far, so I am back to cull or try to cure. Anyone have any luck getting birds through this nasty problem??

2. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Thanks, I have read that one, seems complicated............... This one seems more do able , http://ultimatefowl.atwiki.com/page/Vent Gleet. I am going to try with this little guy! I have tried the probiotics with no success. The steps of Laxative first to flush the system, internal anti-fungals (will try garlic) then the external anti-fungals with readily available products sounds like a winner, we shall see if it works [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by