Any luck with selling?

Hi. I was wondering how successful some of you are that sell mixed breed chicks. I thought about doing this to make some extra cash, as I'm only a teenager. To those of you who sell mixed breeds, how well do they sell? What types of advertising do you use? Do you ship, local pickup, or both? What do you do if some die? Do you do refunds? Basically, what type of information do you tell the buyer? Do you make yourself known on social media? Roadside signs? TIA. I'm looking for information. I love to hatch and would love to give others the joy of having good quality chicks and also beautiful chickens as a plus.

Just for the record, I'm a hobby seller and only sell a couple times a year, so my selling experience is limited.

Hens sell great, I can sell them 15$+ apiece with no issues.
Chicks though don't go so well around here, since most people that want to buy are in city limits and can't risk roosters.

I just use Facebook. Look for "<County name> poultry swap" or "<city name> buy and sell".... groups like that. Watch out though, some groups do not allow animal sales and facebook is strict about it.

I hand deliver the chickens as I don't like people knowing my address, or do meetups at public places such as gas stations, it might be wise for you to do the same. Then you know they all got to their new home alive.

I usually only sell to people buying over 50$ worth of birds to keep it worth my time. Only getting a 20$ bill really doesn't pay for anything.

I do not refund birds, it is the buyer's responsibility the second money is transferred. I've never sold sick birds and never would. I'm honest with their laying abilities as well, especially if I'm selling older hens.

If I have a necropsy done, I make sure to post the most recent results on my advertisement so people are aware. Obviously do NOT sell if you have mites, lice, or anything at all wrong with your birds.

It may be wise to have a plan B just in case the chicks don't sell. Make sure you're able to comfortably house them.

I hope I helped you somehow! Sorry I'm not a professional, but I thought I'd share how I do things. If you have any more questions for me just ask ❤
Good luck!

Just for the record, I'm a hobby seller and only sell a couple times a year, so my selling experience is limited.

Hens sell great, I can sell them 15$+ apiece with no issues.
Chicks though don't go so well around here, since most people that want to buy are in city limits and can't risk roosters.

I just use Facebook. Look for "<County name> poultry swap" or "<city name> buy and sell".... groups like that. Watch out though, some groups do not allow animal sales and facebook is strict about it.

I hand deliver the chickens as I don't like people knowing my address, or do meetups at public places such as gas stations, it might be wise for you to do the same. Then you know they all got to their new home alive.

I usually only sell to people buying over 50$ worth of birds to keep it worth my time. Only getting a 20$ bill really doesn't pay for anything.

I do not refund birds, it is the buyer's responsibility the second money is transferred. I've never sold sick birds and never would. I'm honest with their laying abilities as well, especially if I'm selling older hens.

If I have a necropsy done, I make sure to post the most recent results on my advertisement so people are aware. Obviously do NOT sell if you have mites, lice, or anything at all wrong with your birds.

It may be wise to have a plan B just in case the chicks don't sell. Make sure you're able to comfortably house them.

I hope I helped you somehow! Sorry I'm not a professional, but I thought I'd share how I do things. If you have any more questions for me just ask ❤
Good luck!
Thanks! This definitely opened my eyes more. Thanks again!

I sell mixed st run chicks (1-12 weeks) and sexed birds over 12 weeks. Be aware that not everyone is going to want a rooster and most people that do want one to eat.

It helps with rooster sales when they're stunning birds. I was able to sell one for 10 a few weeks ago because he was so stunning

Do you have to be NPIP certified to sell chicks and hatching eggs locally/in state/not shipped?

Some states (I think Missouri is one) require it, but I read that from a really old post so it might have changed

I'm in Wisconsin. I hope that it's legal to sell locally with out NPIP certification.

AFAIK, NPIP or similar is only required for interstate commerce, not intrastate. But this also probably depends on the state, so keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom