Any math folk here? I need square footage answers lol

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by karlamaria, Feb 13, 2012.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    My coop is 5x6 ( 6x6 with external nesting boxes included in the measurements) so I want to know square footage and how many chickens can live in this size coop, also my pen is being re done as it's 10x 10 feet now and soon to be 10x15 feet.
    I only have 5 girls but was wondering if I could add a few more girls to this coop and pen.
    I know there is supposed to be 4 square feet per bird, im assuming my coop is going to be more then enough ,but will my coop hold 7 birds?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sq Ft = L x W

Area=LxW

That's what we taught in 5th grade. [​IMG]

Short answer is yes, 7 birds would be fine, but I'd sure make the run larger, if at all possible. Those runs can never be large enough. Just cannot be too big.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I'm pretty sure the pen will be big enough, they free range when Im home during the day and evening. ( about 8 hours a day . ) so 10x 15 and 8 feet tall is pretty good . There not free ranging now, it's snowy and im not sitting put there in the cold lol. But come April out they go again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by