Any Mille Fleur d'Uccle crosses out there?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by wateboe, Feb 26, 2009.

1. wateboe

wateboe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Lebanon, Ohio
    I would love to see pics of any Mille Fleur d'Uccle crosses. Our only rooster is a MFd'U (I haven't seen an abbreviation for this before, please forgive mine if it seems a bit goofy) and he is, ummm... servicing (is that term allowed?) a mixed flock of standard layers along with one lone silkie and a whitish OEGB. Since we have access to an incubator, we would like to hatch some of our eggs. We also have a broody silkie that would be happy to give it a shot.

I am curious about the possible results. One of "Big Feathers'" most receptive hens is a gorgeous Buttercup. I would welcome any speculation or photos about that particular combination.

(Edited for typos!)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

This is Dash, my Mille Fluer d'Uccle X WCB Polish. Daddy was the d'Uccle.

Here's Daddy.
    [​IMG]

Here's his son. Dash is a beautiful guy, but a real pain in the neck. If trimming his spurs doesn't work, we'll have to find him a new place to live. No one would really want a mean roo, though. I just don't want him to be a meal.

See what I mean? Angry guy!
    [​IMG]

But very pretty.
    [​IMG]

Side view when he was a little younger.
    [​IMG]

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Cool birds "ThePolishPrincess"

4. wateboe

wateboe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Dash is a pretty boy, too bad that he is bad-mannered. Have you tried any of the tips on reforming rotten roosters that appear in threads here?

I know nothing about Polish except how they look. Do they have a "typical" roo personality? Our pure d'Uccle is very well mannered, as are his father and brothers (owned by a friend). He is so mild that we doubted even that he was attempting to breed for his first year with us. Spring fever has kicked in though and he is clearly doing his job!

Thanks for the pics!

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! Dash was a sweetheart when he was a chick, and my first home-grown, too. I had high hopes for him.

I raised him with love and treats and protection and when he become a cockerel, I was a threat. I've tried training, I've tried everything in the book. Nothing will stop him from going after my family and I. I'm running out of options. I don't want to see his future providing someone with one good meal. Especially because he's my first 'real' hatched baby.

I hear Polish rooster have real attitude problems. I only have a hen, and she's a real love. The d'Uccle, to tell the truth, is a VERY mean bird. He is over-protective of the hens and often gets his hackles up at me. When I pick him up to do daily inspections for missing feathers, injuries (as I often do with the roos, they tend to fight) he shakes and gets very frightened.

I hear that this breed is usually remarkably friendly! Most of my roosters hate me, generally. Now that spring is coming, my guys are even meaner. I can't bring myself to rid the flock of them. Two years later, and it's beyond 'too late' in my eyes.

6. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, here is Mille Fleur and silkie mixes, they are quite beautiful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:those roos r gorgoues!

8. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    Pretty birds! [​IMG]