Any mods need to be done to this to make it a brooder?

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
My SIL returned a rabbit to us because she didn't have enough time for her, the rabbit will be going back outside and we now have this cage. The brooder will be out in the garage and average temp will be 30s-50s. I have a lamp for it and there is a hole on the top that I can put it at.

I was thinking of covering the sides of half of it just to keep some extra heat in for them, though there should not be much wind since we don't use the garage much and the large door is hardly ever opened.

Dimensions: 40.5”L x 17.25”W x 18”H

Last edited:
I brood small numbers of chicks in a parakeet cage very similar to what you pouted. Works great! I put anEcoGlow20 brooder heater inside it. They learn to use the bottle waterer pretty quickly. The deep pan beneath it is great for pine shavings. I put that non-skid waffly sort of shelf liner on the wire so the chicks don't have to deal with walking on wire - you just take put the liner and shake it, then launder it, for cleaning.

I don't keep chicks in the cage brooder for more than 3 weeks, because they need room to run around and exercise. They go into a 54 gallon Rubbermaid bin after that age.

I do not use heat lamps; an EcoGlow20 fits into the cage just fine.

Last edited:
we're using a 4x3 dog pen for our brooder inside the coop for 12 chicks, we purchased them from our local feed store when they were 3 days old, now they're almost 3 weeks old now and all are doing fine,

Depends on how many hatch, we have 30 in the incubator. I'll be keeping about 10 in there if that many hatch. Including a serama and Bantie.

Sorry didn't think to put the size LOL Dimensions: 40.5”L x 17.25”W x 18”H. Once they feather I can put them in the coop, but I'm afraid to put them in the coop with a heat light since there is just so much dry hay.

Here is a pic of the brooder that I made: (Pretty much the same concept)

I did add some cardboard, but it was only because I couldn't get the heat to set in without it. If you are using an ecoglow then it shouldn't be a problem!

Back
Top Bottom