Any Mouse/ "Pocket Pet" Owners Out There?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by tinychicky, Jun 22, 2011.

1. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    I have three mice and i think a couple accidental pregnancies [​IMG] my buck got out and got into the girls cage a few days ago so i guess we'll see lol

Here they are [​IMG]
    Forrest, broken marked black buck, eating greenbeans lol
    [​IMG]
    Loretta, chinchilla doe i think she's preggie [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And Marlena, pink eyed white, hoping for no babies from this one [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, does anyone else have "pocket pets"?

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    How cute! [​IMG] We used to have a hamster, but he passed away in February. [​IMG]

3. Rollerman

Rollerman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    I love your spotted boy! I have six,all girls and all solid white. I want to get rid of them and get some with lots of color markings.I really enjoy watching them.

4. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    Quote:aww i'm sorry to hear about your hamster [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have mice coming out my ears. One is in a trap now. Pets are only thing, but these are really starting to tic me off.

6. ChickenfootDuckbutt

ChickenfootDuckbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

I had mice years ago, LOVED them, used to breed them. only had a couple I could handle though, one was a big FAT brindle buck who was my main breeder, named cheetah, he was absolutely sweet! you could not walk past his cage without him hauling himself off his chubby rear and bouncing, scrabbling at the glass to be picked up and given love, my main doe, December, was a broken black, she was sweet too, the sweetest female i had though, was Little girl, a snake food rescue i got from a friend when his snake would not eat the mouse, Little girl was an agouti brindle, she had a HUGE tumor on her shoulder, when i got her I kept her seperate from December, and her daughters, when I did try to introduce Little girl to the other, December attacked her, and bit her badly...on her should with the tumor, she actually bit the tumor clean off!, leaving a big open bleeding wound, but it healed up, Little girl used to get out of the cage, find her way into my bed, and curl up on my chest under my shirt to and go to sleep, I'd wake up in the morning and there she'd be, staring at me she lived to be two years old, cheetah lived to about 3, and December was killed by one of our cats at just over a year old

I also had a blind old siamese mouse, she was pregant when i got her, completely blind, but she was an awesome mom.

7. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    I also used to breed mice. I was working on a non-genetically obese line of brindles for awhile but moved on to merles, roans and tricolors in smooth and rex/texel varieties. They came from show breeders and were very lovely mice in both looks and temperament. I loved my mice but didn't have the time to dedicate to them and frankly my house stunk from all of the bucks marking their cages. Some day when I have a climate controlled office space in a shed outside of the house I will get back into them. .

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I apologize. Seriously. This is a thread about pets, and I DO love pet mice and rats. I have a pest problem and my post came out all wrong.

Your first mouse, the black and white one is soooo cute!!!!

9. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    that's okay, deb, wild mice can be a nuisance, i get it.

i LOVE brindles, ohmygosh especially broken brindles! i like tricolors, too [​IMG] does anyone have pictures?

10. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    I had a white mouse when I was younger...right about the time the movie "Fright Night" came out. I was an "Evil" fan >character in the movie< so I named my mouse "Evie" I had Evie trained to crawl up my arm and get in my shirt pocket just by asking her if she wanted to go for a walk!! She slept with me curled up against my neck under my hair. A few years later my then boyfriend >now hubby< got a pair of rats they were awsome, although not trained as well as Evie, they did come when called and typical things, one morning we woke up and one had eaten the other. We believe she died in the night and the other was just cleaning up the "mess". Hubby got ticked off and killed the one doing the eating. Since then, I had a hamster that he found under the wheel of his work truck one morning when it was pouring. How he saw it at 5am in the rain is beyond me, but Smooshie was the meanest hammy i've ever seen!! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by