Any Muscovy fans out there?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mothergoose, Jan 13, 2007.

1. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    I just love muscovies. This is my favorite muscovy. She hatched 4 clutches for me last year...53 ducklings. She is a hatching machine!
    [​IMG]

2. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Wow, that's a fantastic duck! I have never had them hatch out more than a clutch so far, but mine were just a year last year.

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Wow, that is a very pretty duck! And 53 ducklings in one year!?!? :eek: are you sure she isn't part rabbit or hanging out with a rabbit on the side?

4. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    She probably would have hatched more for me , but I let her raise them and when I get all she hatches sold, then she goes off to set again. She averages 14 ducklings per hatch. She is always the first one to lay. Most of my other muscovies only hatched 2 clutches. I am ready for spring. I love seeing the little ducklings trailing behind their moms.
    Christie

5. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Chel was soooo close to talking me into putting duck eggs under my broody buff orp. I'm finding myself tempted again... not a lot of things cuter than a baby duckling!

6. tnokie

tnokie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Very pretty hen. I like muscovies too. I have a chocolate drake and five white hens and a white drake. One already started laying but its too early here in northern tn

7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I love muscovies!

I have a black pied duck. I had a white drake but he died. Im searching for some more. Yours is beautiful! I love all white girls, dont know why. [​IMG]

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I love Muscovy ducks. They are so cute when they wag their tails. More like wagging the whole back half of their bodies.
    Here is a pic of the winning Muscovy at the Hollister, Ca show on Saturday.
    It was a small show so there were only a few muscovy entered.

[​IMG]

chel

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  9. ilroost

ilroost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    weldon il.
    i have a flock of 11 muscovies very easy bird to take care of never have trouble of sickness or any other trouble just love them

10. leslie0815

leslie0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Coveys are the best.....quiet and comical for sure. I had thought mine weren't laying yet but what a surprise I had to look close in their enclosure today....they besides laying their own eggs have been stealing my mallard,khaki and geese eggs. Gathered 42 eggs today.....I have 7 females and ended up with 5 males...the only problem I have with them is they won't stay in their pen. I have 40 acres for them to range, but they all come back to their pen at dark.....but all in all they are good ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by