Any natural virus-fighting foods?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country4ever, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Hi,
    I'm thinking my buff orp might have wet pox. She has spots on her comb, but has considerable respiratory effort. Have any of you had any luck with natural foods/substances that work against viruses? I'm thinking garlic/oregano. Any others? Thanks.

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Nothing works against viruses which is why we can still all get the common cold...[​IMG]

VetRx has camphour which is good for respiratory stuff.

3. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks Spotted Crow.
    Maybe I'll buy her some Zicam. [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My husband is a big believer in elderberry concentrate. It's supposed to fight viruses. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt chickens any if you gave them some.

5. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I would recommend coconut oil or coconut flakes. I have heard reports that coconut fat can even help in the treatment of AIDS.

I have used coconut oil to treat a sick duck. Though I don't have confirmation, I believe she may have a viral disease. She LOVES the chunks of coconut oil and it seems to help.

6. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I don't know if they are good for chcikens but fresh cranberrys are great for boosting the immune system.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's often hard to fight what is considered a "non living" organism by some groups. Best thing to do is prevention and boosting the immune system. If you suspect your hen is sick, be sure to put her into quarentine and keep a close eye on her condition. If you could get some testing to verify it is indeed wet pox, that would probably be the best way to attack it.

8. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks everyone! Great suggestions!

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Aloe Vera juice is another one-they feed that to pigeons for health

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by