Any new turkey nest ideas?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by doubleostud, Oct 22, 2008.

1. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    I have a few hens that nest on the floor in my coop and a few that nest in boxes, but I was wondering what everyone else uses for turkeys. I have tried an old barrel but it really didnt go over well. Any ideas?

2. ricklo

ricklo Chillin' With My Peeps

I used an old tire on the floor of coop with hay & stripped corn husks in it and she made a nest there and laid her eggs,sat and hatched the babied there.

3. doubleostud

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    really I'll have to give that a try, what breed do you have?

4. ricklo

I don't really know, from what I have figured out from this site,I am pretty sure they are Blk. Spanish.Here in Brazil, I see this with a variation of Bronze.

5. ricklo

Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

6. doubleostud

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Good looking birds, toms fan has been worked over, does he drag it around alot, I had a blk spanish that use to drag his fan and strut backwards always tore up his fan.

7. ricklo

Yea, that picture is a couple months old, it is spring now here and he is getting new fan feathers!

8. doubleostud

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    So are turkeys and chickens pretty easy to come by in Brazil? are there poultry auctions?

9. ricklo

No Auctions, just get them from different people or at the weekend outdoor market where they sell everything from vegatables,fruit, meat, fish, live fowl.
    That is where I got my turkeys, ducks, some chickens and my Guineas.They where being sold for food or Whatever. My wifes relatives and friends also give us alot of birds.They just said they have some Peafowl coming! Thats where my baby parakeets and Parrots came from.They know I love animals.

10. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

My wild males tail fans get like that from all the breeding they do...

Charlie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by