Any New Zealanders?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Orpy, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Orpy

Orpy Out Of The Brooder

how many other kiwi's here?

2. chookbookchook

chookbookchook Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2013
    New Zealand
    Tauranga here[​IMG]

3. Orpy

Orpy Out Of The Brooder

YAY, how many chooks do you currently have?
    I've got 21 (3 cockerels and 18 hens - 8 fertile eggs that i'll check on tonight to see if any embryo has died since i candled them last).

4. venus

venus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I'm on the North Shore. I've just got four Brown Shavers on New Years Eve. They're about 8 weeks old. I'm just learning all about chucks and loving every minute of my girls.

5. chookbookchook

Jan 17, 2013
    New Zealand
    Quote:I've got 6 Chickens, 2 red shavers, 1 orpington and 3 baby chicks that hatched last saturday (unsexed) fairly new to looking after chooks. We moved from auckland down here last october.

6. chookbookchook

Jan 17, 2013
    New Zealand
    Quote:Shavers are fantastic company good layers I hear too.

7. Orpy

Orpy Out Of The Brooder

i'm just learning about chooks too, i'm getting more and more addicted to them [​IMG]
    I have 2 red shavers myself - i've found them to be great layers [​IMG]

8. Orpy

Orpy Out Of The Brooder

I live near New Plymouth. I've got myself a little orpington too (my profile pic).
    I can't wait till (hopefully) 1 of my 8 eggs hatch, it's soooooo exciting, i've never had such young chooks before [​IMG]. I have them sitting under 2 broody hens in the main coop, it's a little nerve racking as i know the non-broody hens often push the broody girls off to lay their own eggs, but i'm still a little hopeful of getting 1 or 2 chicks (hopefully at least 2) out of the clutch.
    However, I've just set up a incubator that I'll be testing out on 4 plymouth barred rocks, 4 silver wyandotte partidges, 5 anconas, and 1 red island red...i left the incubator running all night just to see if the temp and humidity stayed up around where it's safe, so YAY today's the day I place my eggs in [​IMG]LOL I am more addicted than i realised [​IMG]

9. venus

venus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Sounds really exciting. Good luck and keep us posted. Chucks really are addictive aren't they? [​IMG]

10. Orpy

Orpy Out Of The Brooder

So exciting - I saw movement in a few eggs last night [​IMG]
    Fingers crossed they get to hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by