1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any North Dakota/Minnesota Gardeners?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by chickenlover292, Mar 30, 2016.

1. chickenlover292

chickenlover292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    North Dakota
    I live in North Dakota, raise chickens, beekeeping, and most of all.....Gardening.

I was wondering if we had any North Dakotan's/Minnesotan's on this site who wouldn't mind sharing what they are doing in their gardens, coops, and if anyone does have bees, sharing where you are getting them from and sharing what you are doing with them.... Just pretty much post everything of what you are doing in the coop, garden, and apiary!

This is not just a garden site!!!
    We can talk about ANYTHING!!!

2. MrsMVP

MrsMVP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Kingsburg CA
    I lived in North Dakota last year. I planted a very small Garden the May my husband and I moved there. We had better boy tomatoes (bad choice - only harvested 12 tomatoes in August granted they were delicious), peas, green beans and strawberries.
    Was it a bad winter this year? I sure miss ND summers! Hope this helps kick off your post.

3. chickenlover292

Apr 23, 2014
    North Dakota
    No it was actually a good winter here were i live but out west in the oil fields, they got hit pretty good.

4. NathanZee

NathanZee Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I'm in Minnesota! I started a cherry tomato plant in a cup and it sprouted yesterday. We are waiting to plant the whole garden until frost is over.

5. MrsMVP

MrsMVP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Kingsburg CA
    We were up in Williston. Have you ever tried a spring crop of califlower? I just found out it can be very persnickety about warm temperature so the stuff I planted down here in California might button (make a mini head) and then die. :/ It prefers temps no warmer than 75 and cool soil. Sounded perfect for ND to me [​IMG]

6. chickenlover292

Apr 23, 2014
    North Dakota
    Thanks I will try that.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by