Any nurses out there.....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SunAngel, Oct 21, 2009.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    ...that could semi explain blood pressure to me?

My blood pressure used to run 122 (ish) over 80 (ish) almost all the time. In the last year the lowest it has been is 138 over 85. But lately it is running like 150 over 90 and up.

Yesterday I went in to get steroid shots in the back of my head for Occipital Neuralgia, 4th or 5th time I have had this done, so I wasn't too worried about it and my blood pressure before was 155 over 103 and after the procedure it was 150 over 103. Am I headed for a heart attack or something? Should I be worried enough to make a doc appt? I am only 39, but a bit overweight, which I am sure accounts for some of it. Although, my weight hasn't changed in years...my blood pressure definitely has. Don't know if I should just chalk it up to pain or be worried.

Thanks for any advice!!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. Luvin Life

Luvin Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Yes! You need to see your dr. I am 43, never had high bp, then all of a sudden mine was running like yours. I recently quit taking by bp pills, went to the dr. bp was 150/90, she looked at me in a harsh tone says " I can prescribe these pills for you, it doesn't help if you don't take them!" You can have a stroke or something of that nature. I would go have it checked out. Safe rather then sorry later.

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm a nurse, and yes, I agree, you definitely need to see a doctor and probably need to take medication.

4. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I just dug out my little wrist BP machine and my BP is 147 over 100, ugh. Thats with doing nothing but relaxing at the computer. Haven't even eaten yet!

Guess I will have to make an appt! Blah! I hate pills, but I hate the thought of strokes or heart attacks more.

5. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    The first number is the pressure of your heart at work and the second of your heart at rest. So in some ways the second number is more important than the first. A good blood presure is typically 120/80 but high blood pressure is considered anything above 140/90, so if either of those numbers are above 140/90 then you have high blood pressure (HBP).

Over time, HBP can can and does cause damage to the body systems. Most Americans over age 40 have HBP and don't know it or know the ramifications of leaving it untreated. Even if it is "only a little high" you should not ignore it. Please see your doctor as soon as possible and follow his advice. As we get closer to the end of the year it is typically harder to get in to see the doctor. It is what we call "deductible season" when everybody's deductible is met and they want to do anything possible before having to meet another deductible. Make your appointment soon.

6. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks for all the suggestions and info!

I just remembered I have an appt tomorrow, but it is just with a nurse for a shot. I will get them to check my BP while I am there though. If they think it is high, I will make another appt to see the doc.

Why do I suddenly see a low salt, bland diet in my future...blah! lol

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I will have to make an appt! Blah! I hate pills, but I hate the thought of strokes or heart attacks more.

You may have to take pills, but it is possible to reduce your blood pressure without medication. It does require dietary changes. I went from 149/95 down to 101/62 by eliminating sugars and starches from my diet. I keep my carbohydrate intake to less than 50g/day. I also lost 42 lbs.​

8. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Wow, awesome and congrats on both counts!

I have a feeling that is what my doc will suggest first anyway....they like to go the diet/exercise route before prescribing pills. Which is a good thing, but my eating habits stink. It will take some real dedication for me to change. I know I need to lose the extra weight and eat better, before I get any older...maybe this will be enough to kick me into gear.

9. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Sometimes it is easier to do the hard thing if it is for someone else. Your kids need a mom.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    A good, easy to follow book I recommend is "Natural Health and Weight Loss" by Barry Groves. Another good one is "Protein Power Life Plan" by Drs. Mike & Mary Eades.

You could also research the Paleo diet. I use elements from all three.

The important things to remember....

Meat = good
    Natural fats (including saturated fats) = good
    Sugar (or anything that rapidly converts to sugar in your blood stream) = bad

So for breakfast, eggs and sausage or bacon is great. Also have a glass of whole milk or use real cream in your coffee. Skip the toast.

Skim milk over cereal is basically just a giant bowl of sugar, will spike your blood pressure, your insulin levels and raise triglycerides. (This is what I used to eat all the time. Made me fat as all get out!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by