Any of you Mainers put your chicks out yet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by VioletBlueIvy, May 21, 2010.

1. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Hi everyone,
    I want to put my chicks out, but I moved my coop and it is too far out in the field to run the cord to for a light. Does anybody else have theirs out yet? These are my first chicks and I am not sure... they are in my extra bathroom in the TUB and yesterday my daughter went in to use the bathroom, and three of them flew out of the tub, one was running around the room and the other two perched on her lap, on the potty!!!!! She was hollering MAMA I NEED HELP! MAAAAAAMA! And when I got there that's how I found her LOL!!!! I laughed until I cried!
    But seriously, I think it's time for them to go before they take over the rest of the house.....

2. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    I'm in Massachusetts. My 5 week olds are spending their first night outside tonight. Not even in the coop. They're in a dog cage that I just covered with blankets. Eeeeeek.

3. westernmainecoop

westernmainecoop Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    I had 4 hatch on april 16, they were probably 4 weeks when I started putting them outside in the dog kennel I was keeping them in on a few nice days. They weren't completely feathered but 95% I'd say. They were fun to watch, playing follow the leader and such.
    After the second time out they just got so much louder I decided to put the kennel in the coop. That was almost 2 weeks ago now. They stopped staying in the kennel after the 3rd day(I arranged it so the door was close enough to a wall only the chicks had access) and all sleep on the same square of hay. The mature chickens adjusted quickly and one of my caunas even keeps her eyes on them. Right from day one they were leaving the coop in the a.m.(free range) and coming back on their own at night. Their range keeps getting bigger by the day. My coop is well insulated. This is my second year and I'm having fun learning. Right Wrong or Indifferent they are healthy happy chicks. By the way I'm in the western foothills. Good Luck!

4. Littletonchicks

Littletonchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Im in Northern Maine and I had mine out yesterday for a little while. They are only two weeks old so it may be too early but they seemed to really enjoy it. I put them in a little fenced in area on the grass. Depending on how old yours are, as long as they have feathers and a heat lamp I would think they would be fine outside and in the coop at night. Good luck!

5. Littletonchicks

Littletonchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Sorry, I just re read your post and see its too far away for a light. What part of Maine are you in? How old are they? I know up here in the North we are bound to get a lot more cold nights. The days are warm but the nights are still a little chilly. Its that deceiving time of year when you want to put in your garden, or your chicks outside, but then BAM we get a cold snap.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    how old are your chicks? I am putting mine out but I am putting a heat lamp....

7. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    I am 30 miles north of Bangor, in Lagrange. Hi neighbors [​IMG]

I am worried about that late cold snap...It has been way to nice of a spring! It makes me nervous! We'll probably get a blizzard sometime in June LOL!!!!
    I go by the black flies to decide when to plant my garden, when they come out I get the gardens cleaned up, and when they start biting, I start planting. I figure that they don't start breeding until there is no danger of a frost, somehow they know. They just got serious and looking for blood this week.

It seems to work for the garden, so I guess the chicks should be ok too...
    My chicks are a little over 6wks old, and all feathered out. I have turned off the heat lamp inside, and they have been fine, they all huddle up together at night.
    I built a little room for them out in the coop, and put lots of shavings on there. I just put them out there this morning. I will probably be up all night running out there to check on them. It sounds like some of you have put yours out earlier than I did and been fine...maybe I am just being too careful!

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010
  8. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    I've put my 8 week old crew out in the barn.

They are in elevated cages with pine shavings on the floors - and they do have a 100 watt light set on the top of the cage.

In the daytime if it's warm, the barn doors are open and the lights are off.

The chicks can look outside, enjoy the sun and watch the older birds as they go about their business.

At night, I turn on the lights if the temperature goes below 50 degrees, which has happened alot lately.

When we had that cold snap, I wrapped the cages with towels and kept the lights on until things warmed up.

It frosted here, two nights in a row!!!

I do believe that "no drafts" and "everything nice and dry" helps wherever your chicks are [​IMG]

9. cozycrestmom

cozycrestmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    I was wondering that myself.. I live in Southern Maine... They are in a dog kennel right now down cellar.. with tin foil around the sides.. I am keeping it around 80 degrees with 2 40 watt bulbs... Tomorrow I am changing to one 60 watt bulb. They are getting alot of their feathers... And I was shooting to let them out to their coop the week after Labor Day...
    Learning as we go...

10. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    Update-
    I went out and checked on them several times during the night, and first thing this morning. They were all snuggled up together in a corner, like they did inside at night. They weren't fluffing up so I assume they were warm enough? They were all running around and eating and playing, even climbing on their new roost today. So far so good. I will just keep an eye on the weather and if it's going to get real cold I could always just bring them in for the night in the dog crate. Tomorrow we are going to put them outside (supervised) and see what they think of that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by