Any of you use ladders as roosts? Got pics?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Oct 10, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm tired of lifting my girls up to the rafters, after a bad predator problem I'm still leary of leaving them down [​IMG] (I taken care of several predators since). Thinking of attaching a ladder to the rafters that will swing up at night and down in the morning. I only have seven girls. My bigger girls don't like flying down and only my Banties get up and down on their own.

2. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    I feel you. We have been dealing with everything from mg lions to foxes this year. We even had Puppies taken by the Mt lion at the west house. Now we are in steal trap mode. Luckily my Dad is a pretty good trapper.

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:Oh my a mountain lion is nothing something I'd want around, ours have just been possums and coons.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    If they are not willing to go up to the roosts then the roosts are too high. You don't need to provide a ladder but lower footings that they can get to would help them. The bantams I used to have could get 20' up in the trees, my standards could never do that without some type of assistance.

Maybe just something halfway between the floor and the roost (but a decent bit back from it) would help.

I'm surprised they don't like flying down. Thats the easy part. Its the getting up that is more difficult for them. [​IMG]

5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    They can fly down, but they're lazy girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by