1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any one doing verma/aqua ponics?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Kassaundra, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I know it isn't really a "hobby", but this was the closest subject I could find. I haven't started my system yet, been doing alot of research. I plan on getting a small system of vermiponics in the house this month to try through the winter for leafy green veggies, just to get a feel for it. I'm mostly interested in vermiponics b/c where I live it is hot and cold (harder to get a fish for both temps), but if I do try w/ fish I will probably do goldfish and not eat them ourselves but feed them to "the girls" cut the feed bill and get wonderful eggs to eat.

What kind of systems do you guys have?

What kind of results?

Any tips for someone just starting?

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I am going to have to google this one, I don't have a clue what it is...

3. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    It is a form of gardening based on the hydroponics idea, but in a more natural way using either worms (vermiponics) or fish (aquaponics) as the fertilizer source (or both). Using nonsoil bed and a flood and drain, or constant flow of water to grow veggies, fish, and worms at the same time each providing vital nutrients, O2, CO2 to the others. The system is very water conservative and from everything I've read make so much sense how everything interacts and supports the other.

4. sheaviance1

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I googled it last night, and got so interested in what I was reading that I never made it back over here, LOL! I love gardening, and am always experimenting with new things. I may have to try something like this. Have you got your equipment yet?

5. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Sort of I'm going to do a very simple set up, indoors for the winter. I only have a single window to put it in for light. I'm going to use the plastic storage bins from wal mart/dollar store. I will probably put a small faucet in the water container that I just turn on a couple of times a day, then a faucet in the grow beds the same just to hand turn on then just hand dump from the drain bucket back to the water container. Going to put red wigglers in the grow bed and grow leafy greens things that do not need pollination. After I set it up if everything is going well I might just put a goldfish or two in the water container. I am getting my grow medium at the local camp/lake area where I can get the right size stone for free. If this all works I'll work on a more automated system for outside this grow season. When I get the system set up (in a week or two) I'll post the pics. Are you going to try it?

6. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Okay, I have used a worm bin for years now.

I also garden and know a little about aquaponics.

But, for the life of me, I can't wrap my head around a bin system that would include worms and water. Generally, if your worm bin looks like water something is gonna start stinking ! So I guess I'll just sit this one out! For now anyway.

[​IMG]

ETA: Well Dang! Sure enough! A bin system holding growth medium and worms, and water circulating through it all! I did note that extra aeration with bubble stone was mentioned which I can say would be necessary to keep water storage bin and system from stinking!

Keep your experiences posted as I want to hear how this works!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  7. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    In the flood and drain method you do not leave the water standing you flood the grow bed (which has the worms) then drain the bed. You don't put the worm food (scraps) in the whole bed but in containers in the middle of the bed. Not having done it myself yet I can't speak of personal experience to your concern of a smell, but no article I've read has mentioned this at all.

8. sheaviance1

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    It would be nice if it would only smell like compost, but I guess we will just have to wait and see. I may try it. I will be doing some more research this weekend (gee...thanks [​IMG] ). I am fascinated by the concept. I haven't read up on using fish yet, but that is something that I could actually talk hubby into. We've dabbled in vermicomposting a little, but have always started it at our busiest time of year and not been able to devote the attention that a new setup needs. We are getting ready to start that again since winter is knocking on the door and life will be slowing down a little.

9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I have a vermicomposter. Mostly I just feed them finished compost though, except in the winter when I want to generate some heat inside to keep them alive (my composter is outside). Today I start working in earnest on my aquaponics system. I hope to be up and ready for tilapia by the new year. I'm very excited about it! I haven't read anything about putting food scraps in the grow bed though, just worms. Of course, I've only been seriously reading about it for a couple months. I've been wanting to do it for a couple years, then about two months ago I saw the videos on this website: http://gardenpool.org/

10. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:From what I've read you only feed the worms food scraps in the grow beds if you are only using worms, no fish. If you have fish too their waste provides the worm food. I have also read even if you don't start out w/ worms on purpose in your grow beds if you do aquaponic (with fish) worms will come. From what I've read most if not all seasoned grow beds have worms by nature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by