Any one else dry incubating??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandelaykay, Aug 2, 2011.

1. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    I just set my eggs today... this will be my first dry hatch and I am very interested to see what happens! Anyone want to join me!!???[​IMG]

2. koda55533

koda55533 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    I set my eggs 4 days ago and I am also doing a dry hatch. this is also my very first hatch and I am very excited!

3. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I am also doing a dry hatch. My humidity is varying from 25 up to 40 depending on the humidity in the air. I set my eggs on the 24th and they will go into lock down on the 11th. I candled yesterday and removed 22 clears from the incubator. 20 left that are showing signs of babies. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they all hatch.

4. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    I just did a dry incubation....I added no water...humidity kinda bounced between 30% and 40%....day 18 I aded water and got it up to 65-70% my first chick just hatched...very cleanly. No blood or liquid anywhere. Chick not due til tomorrow, yolk completely absorbed.

5. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:So glad that it went well. It makes me a bit nervous to see my humidity dipping below 30 but there are also some days it gets a bit over 40 so I think it balances out in the end. Going to add water on day 18 when I put them in lock down and we will see what happens. This is my first time trying a dry hatch though so it will be a learning experience.

6. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess I am doing a dry incubation, the humidity here was so high already, so I am not adding water till lockdown. [​IMG]

7. yadaguhtoo

yadaguhtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    I don't get my eggs until tomorrow but after I let them rest from shipping I will be joining you! What I have read is you don't add water until lockdown, right now before I add the eggs my bator is reading 25% without eggs. Will the humidity go up after I add eggs? Is 25% to low if not? This is also my first time trying a dry hatch, the last 2 batches I incubated with higher humidity I had poor hatches (4 out of 12 hatched) but then 1 died after each hatch so I have 6 so far. The other unhatched eggs that I opened had fully formed chicks that never pipped (I think they drowned) so I am hoping for better luck this time :)

8. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    I like mine at least 30% so if it goes below I will add a tiny bit of water. I use a straw full and put it through one of the vents and go between the eggs so that I do not wet them. From what I have read you want the outside humidity outside the bator to be between 60 and 85% if it is lower you may need to add a little water.

9. Bugg

Bugg Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    East Orlando
    Quote:Dry (low moisture) incubated my last batch and hatched 7 out of 12 with 1 more in shell.
    Followed a suggestion from another post, kept water level low for first two weeks.
    When I candled my eggs at 15 days I filled bottom rings with warm water. Topped off again at lockdown.

Hope this helps, good luck.
    Bugg

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    We all write about and talk about the humidity and somehow don't mention what is really the most important reason we are concerned about humidity. That is the air cell and that it must increase in size thru the incubation period. Enough moisture must be lost to be 12-14% of the eggs weight. Here is a diagram to show candling results.

http://www.guineafowlbirds.com/Guinea-Fowl-Articles/Egg-Hatch.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by