1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any one else ever have an egg inside an egg??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by twisted-acres-farm, Jan 12, 2013.

1. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Maiah and daughter dob aug 2, 2017 Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    So my 8 Brahma light hens are a little over 6 months old and have been getting some nice eggs from them. I have one who lays a very large egg and always a double yolker. This I like and accept as relatively normal. The other day found a MONSTER egg which weigh over 5 oz and was 6 3/4 inches around in the middle. Took pics. Decided to have fried eggs for supper tonight while some friends were here and they talked me into using the monster egg. Inside this egg I found another egg complete with shell. It was like those russian stackiing/nesting dolls. Has any one else had this happen with 1 egg (complete with yolk) inside of another egg complete with yolk. Yet another reason my place is called "Twisted Acre's"

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. Cool! Yes, I've had this happen before from a slightly new to being a hen, hen. Hens that started laying not that long ago tend to have abnormal eggs at times.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I've never seen that "in the flesh", but I've seen pics of it. It happens when the egg is fully formed and instead of being laid, reverses and gets another coating of egg shell and sometimes another load of white as well.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Sound like one of your hen's laying mechanism does not function quite right. Keep an eye on her for laying issues such as egg retention.

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC :)

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    No, I haven't seen anything like that - kinda cool!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I've seen pictures but have never experienced the phenomenon.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

I've heard of it, but none of my hens have ever done it. Chickens can be full of surprises, can't they?

10. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

that mite of happend to me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by