Any one else hoping for some luck o' the Irish? Update: Thnks St. Pat!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LarissaCluck, Mar 14, 2011.

1. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chirping

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    Good luck Pat and Farmer Chef!

Here are pics of my first two out:
    [​IMG]
    Lav Ameraucana seconds from hatching out

[​IMG]
    First one out, not sure if its an Easter Egger or Ameraucana

Two more started zipping when I left for work. I didn't want to go to work, I just wanted to stay and watch! It is so amazing.

2. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Congratulations! I wish I had some space for some EE's or Ameraucanas:)

I have 21 Barnevelder and project eggs in lockdown 11 chicks have hatched and more pipped. I had one chick that hatched late last night and it's going to be named Lucky. Some how I missed seeing that the egg had a crack in it when I set it and saw the crack later when I candled. I left it in because it was developing with the rest. The chick hatched with a pool of yolk and blood left in the shell and was completely sticky with a rough navel. It was the 5th chick out and hatched all by itself and none of the others have been sticky. [​IMG] I think it was the crack. It's eyes were also glued shut and couldn't fluff up because of all the yuck. I had to give the poor little chick a bath this morning under warm running water in the sink. It took forever to get the sticky membranes and yolk off it. It's now fluffing up in the bator, no longer screaming like it's in distress, and seems like a happy normal chick..... Lucky it is [​IMG]

The first two that hatched out last night.

[​IMG]

This will be an extended hatch because I set the eggs over a 3 day period and the rest should start hatching tomorrow.

Trisha

3. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chirping

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    Awww love the story about lucky! Amazing a chick coudl survive a crack!

The barnevelder eggs are purty!

4. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Songster

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    Larissa: They are very cute! congratulations! Before i went to work, there was no activity at all yet in my incubator, but they are not due until Thursday or even Friday.....

5. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chirping

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    So that first one, the one in the pic above, keeps dragging its shell along. I can't quite tell what is still attached. The other two that have hatched since then area no longer attached to their shell.

Anyone know what this means? I hope nothing is wrong...

6. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chirping

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    Well the luck of the Irish is definitely with me! I am up to 8 or 9 chicks now and most of the other eggs have pips started [​IMG]

There are one or two I am worried about because they have stuff they are dragging behind them, but I am hoping its just leftover egg junk.This is my first time so I'm still trying to figure out what is normal or not.

I moved a couple to the brooder this morning because they were trampling all over the hatching chicks. They are so cute and fluffy....will have to post pics later!

7. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chirping

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    The first four moved to the brooder

[​IMG]

Fuzzy faces:
    [​IMG]

8. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Songster

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    I have 2 pips [​IMG]

I don't know if they will make it out for St Patrick's day, but they are working on it!

9. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Quote:[​IMG] on the chicks [​IMG] Hopefully the ones dragging stuff will be ok. Maybe your humidity was a bit too high? If it's not bleeding, I would gently snip it off when you transfer them to the brooder.

Here's my Lucky. She's a girl and is doing great. Her head is still a bit sticky because it was hard to get all the goo off of her. She's sure lucky hatching from a cracked egg [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far I have 16 chicks, one egg pipped and 4 left to pip (hopefully today).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  10. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Crowing

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Oooooo, such sweet photos of chicks.

I'm hoping for my first green egg this St. Patrick's Day. My EE is 21 weeks old and has been squatting for me for 5 days now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: