Any one else with Dupuytren's Contracture??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by woodmort, Oct 27, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I posted on another thread that I suffered from this and found there was at least one other person in this forum that does. Also called the Viking or Scottish Fisherman's Disease it is where the tendons of one's hand calcify causing the fingers to curl inward--generally starting with the pinkie. There is a picture of my hands at http://jimmortensen.com/?p=338 . I'm just interested in talking to anyone who is also inflicted is all since, while this is genetic, there is no one else in my family that seems to have it.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    So sorry..that does look very sore. [​IMG]

Will it keep progressing? Or will it stop at that hand? (dumb question..sorry..)

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    My MIL who is Norwegian and Swedish, has hands that look like yours, not quite as contracted though. It might be that she has the same issue. She also has some pretty severe arthritis in her hands and feet, so it might just be arthritic changes. Her Norwegian mother had similar hands too. Maybe I should look at dh's hands?

4. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Interesting in that it is supposedly a more common male than female affliction but the other person I talked to on this forum that has it is also a female. Given that I'm a quarter Danish plus the other 3/4ths came from parts of Germany that were once part of the Viking empire I guess I have the right combination. But the rest of my MN ancestors are all married to Norwegian and Swedish extraction people and, as far as I know, I'm the only one with this problem--my 2-year younger brother doesn't have it nor did either of my parents.

BTW, redhen, thanks for your concern. It will progress but normally it doesn't hurt--once in a while at night I will get pain but a couple of Aleve kill it. Of course if I try to grab something or catch myself with an open hand when I trip it hurts since the fingers are frozen in position . It actually started in my left hand in my 40's but once the right one started to contract--in my late 50's that hand went rapidly to the point where both the ring and pinkie cannot be opened--it is just the pinkie on the left. When I was in my mid50's I coached volleyball and had no problem using my open hand to teach setting and serving but now, some 17 years later, I couldn't do that. In the last couple of years it has contracted enough so I can no longer wear gloves--have to use mittens in the winter. There are corrective surgeries but most consist of 6 months of rehab and the problem returns in 12 to 18 months. One can only have the surgery once.

My reason for post this is to try to see if there are others that have it so we can share experiences. As far as I know there isn't a Viking Disease Support Group.

5. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    I have a very mild case, small calcification on one tendon with virtually no contraction/reduction in range of motion yet. Still young, though, we'll see what happens.

6. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I think I saw a much more severe case of it on Discovery Health channel. Very interesting. Medical abnormalities fascinate me. Is it a painful condition? [​IMG]

7. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I know a man who has, if not the exact same condition, something very, very similar. He is of African descent, however.

8. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh, let's don't use the term "medical abnormalities", it's so politically incorrect. How about substituting "medical fascinomas"? (Fascinoma= we don't know what it is but it's really interesting!)[​IMG]

9. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    OK, works for me. [​IMG]

10. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Interesting since this condition is used to determine the extent of the Viking conquest as it, supposedly, only appears in those populations with a genetic tie to the Norsemen. I'm prone to it since my paternal grandfather came from Denmark, his wife was of Northern Germany descent and all of my mother's side was from an area of Germany occupied by Vikings.
    SallyF it isn't especially painful per se but more an inconvenience--at the stage mine is there are certain things where I'm physically limited: typing for one, I hit a lot of wrong keys.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by