Any one else's Females more "spazzy" then their males?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crazyduckmom, Feb 26, 2012.

1. crazyduckmom

crazyduckmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    I've noticed as my ducks are growing and getting older (they're old 6 weeks right now) that my 2 females are waaay more freakish then my males. my 2 males will freak out a little but seem to calm down more easily whether i'm doing something in their pen or handling them were the females run in circles quacking their little heads off. Its kind of funny to watch them running in circles but at the same time i feel bad that i frighten them so much.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Not mine.

My Appleyard ducks are more pushy. They complain more when I want them to do something they don't want to do, like go to bed early. The drakes just go along with whatever is happening. Both ducks and drakes will walk on my feet if I am in their way. Sometimes I have to reach down and shove the ducks to make them go where I want them to go. They want to stand there and argue about it. The drakes just go where they are told.

I don't see any difference at all in the Pekin. Both ducks and drakes are chatty and follow me around, wanting to see what I am doing.

There isn't any difference in the blue Swedish, either, except the ducks have elegant feminine heads and the drakes look very masculine. Neither ducks nor drakes want to be any closer than about 4 feet to me, but neither are frightened about it. If I pick them up, they complain but don't panic.

3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhat. I had two males, one was like that and one wasn't. Now I only have one male, and my ducks aren't as scared of me as they used to be. They still don't like me handling them, but they will surround me as soon as I come in and make sure I know that they want food.

4. AAJ

AAJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    I have a hen that can get ruff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by