Any one ever experience this...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by darbella, Jan 15, 2010.

1. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Is there a disease or illness that chickens get that even though they eat, they loose weight and especially muscle???? The progresses to their legs going stick straight out either in fron tor in back of them?

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't know about chickens, but that sounds like what happens when a mammal gets worms. [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mareks?

4. darbella

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Dont think it is worms because I wormed her when I had gotten her. I am feeling terrible because i think it may be from the Tylan injections. SOmeone mentioned to me that the Tylan can cause muscle damage. I need to google that and see.

5. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Without reading anyone's response, I'd say Marek's disease.

6. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:+1

7. darbella

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    QuailHollowP&P :

Quote:+1

not sure what the 1+ means, but I loooked at the symptoms for Mareks and she only has the leg issue going on where she is off balance and the one leg allways shoots out in front when she tries to walk and then lays down.​

8. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    You'd probably get a lot more responses if you posted this in Emergency/Diseases/Injuries category.

9. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Sounds like Marek's. Marek's has different symptoms dependent on the bird's age. The symptoms in a young bird can be very different than the symptoms in an adult, mature bird.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    If the chicken has gotten any moldy feed it can cause the same leg problems as Marek's. It only takes a tiny bit of mold to cause permanant neurological damage. They will continue to eat and drink normally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by