Any one ever tan a deer hide?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by AhBee01, Nov 9, 2008.

1. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    My DH got a 9-10 point, we don't know if we should consider it a ten piont cuz of the size of the tenth point,lol but anyway my youngest insists that was try to tan the hide so he can make a hat and boots!!! LOL!!! He is only six!
    So we thought we could give it a go, and I just wondered if anyone had ever done it before!
    I will google up the directions and go from there!
    I posted some pics what do you all think about the little point!!!! LOL !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    No but you can find just about anything on the net...google (home tanning deer hide) and see what comes up.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Out west we'd call that buck a 4 point. If the point isn't at least 3 inches long, it's not a point. (Nice buck BTW)

If they have one on each side, it's called a spike. (yearling)

If I were close I'd invite myself over for some deer burgers.

4. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Here in MI I'm counting 8 points.
    Was this with gun or bow? Our gun season opens the 15th.

5. AhBee01

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    He took the deer by bow, here is another view.
    That is my wedding band hanging from the point in question!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If you want to tan that hide, keep the deer's brain. I know that sounds gross but it is necessary.

Get the hide off the deer, scrap the flesh die clean of all meat and tissue. If you want the hair off, soal the hide in water for a couple of days...the hair will start to 'slip'. Then scrap off the hair. Rinse the hide thoroughly. Mix the brain with warm water and make a semi-thick paste and begin rubbing it into the flesh side of the hide. If you are doing both side and have removed the hair, put the hide in a bucket with the brain solution and thoroughly saturate it.

The hide is going to smell funny and you may think it is going bad but it is not.

take the hide out of the brain solution, wring it out well and begin stretching the hide. This is known as softening. You are opening the fibers of the hide itself. You can resoak it in the brain solution at this point if you want a butter soft hide. Remove from the brains again, rinse lightly and wring and begin stretching the hide in every direction and as far as you can. DO not be surprised if your hands, shoulders and back start to hurt. Do this until the hide is completely dry.

Once the hide is soft and dry, Smoke it over a wood fire but be careful not to scorch it. Once the hide is smoked the color you want it, remove it and you have a braintanned hide that will last you 100 years.

For more detailed instructions, you can try braintan. com for info. I personally use a different process than he does but I do it the way I was taught as a child so, they do have good info on that site.

Here are some of my hides hanging around my deck in various stages of softening.

[​IMG]

This is a small one completely softened before being smoked

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  7. AhBee01

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    cool thanks!
    He wants the fur!!!
    Brenda

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If he is using it as a rug? just scrap the hide side of all flesh and salt the back...you can buy a product called No slip I believe it is that will keep the hair from slipping. That will give you a firm back, good hair and no all of the work. It is hard to tan the hide and not lose the hair...it can be done but it is much harder and for a first timer...I would go the rawhide route on the back. [​IMG]

9. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Seeing it from that angle I can see the 9 points. The one in question would have to be as long as your thumb I believe.

Cetawin is right on with the way to tan the hide, and the brain is the most important part. They say that the Creator gives each animal just enough brain matter to tan his own hide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by