Any one have a Soil Blocker?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by call ducks, Jan 22, 2011.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
  2. Farmergreen

Farmergreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    I use my mulch pile and mix vermiculite and perlite with it and saved 6 pks I find laying around. Works out a lot cheaper than peat pots and I know where my soil came from.

3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Ok, do you like it? is it easy to use?

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I start seeds in the little six packs then move them to paper pots that I make over the winter. My compost will still be under snow when I am ready to start seeds, I get coir bales (ground coconut husks), it absorbs water a lot better than peat and doesn't break down like peat does. I have also had a lot better and faster germination in the coir mixed with worm castings than I do in regular seed starting mix.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I make my own paper pots too and LOVE them. All year I save the styrofoam trays that mushrooms some in. Depending on the size of the tray, I can fit in either two or four of the paper pots. I've found them to be excellent because they are waterproof and strong, yet small enough I can line them up on window sills to ensure the seedlings get plenty of light. When its time to plant, I just dig a hole and stick the whole thing in the ground and I'm done - I think they break down better than the peat pots.

6. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    The paper pots are a good idea; I'll have to try that. I don't like peat pots, have never had good luck with using them. The plants germinate OK, but the roots never seem to make it through the peat, so I've given up planting them. I just use clay pots and dig the seedlings out to transplant them.

7. Farmergreen

Farmergreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    I have never had much luck with peat pots either. Seems they get hard and won't let the roots penatrate
    Yes I do like the Mulch I use. I build my piles with all the hay and manure from cleaning.
    and yes it is a lot of work. My piles are to large for a turner (that I can afford)
    So I turn by hand and then you have to sift it to get any large pieces out.
    My reason is Organic. I know what's in it as far as chemicals etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by