Any one have any idea what is wrong with my hen (relates to upper respiratory infections)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elizabet253, Feb 25, 2015.

1. elizabet253

elizabet253 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Here's the story, I got 6 hens who I thought simply needed to be treated for lice and scaly leg mites. I treated them with ivermectin pour on drops 2 times every 2 weeks. One was an americana who barley ever laid an egg, she popped one out when I brought her here, within 2 weeks I randomly found her dead. She only laid 1 egg within those 2 weeks. 3 weeks later, another hen had to be euthanized, she was dying and would not stop having diahhrea. In this 3 weeks, my rooster who was over 5 months old got into their coop and ruined my quarinteen process. So I said whatever and let these birds out from their shed and let them roam with my birds. Over 2 weeks ago, the crippled hen (she has only one good leg) got her eye poked out by I'm guessing the rooster? After this happen, I could could see she was breathing more deeply, her wattles would go in and out like heavy breathing. The next day I could hear her breathing, I was about to euthanize her too because she barley reacted to me pushing her with my foot, but my mom wouldn't let me, this is her (pet) so the next day I treated her with a herbal remedy twice a day for about a week.Her symptoms were heavy breathing, darth vador breathing, and bubbles in her eyes. No mucus and was eating. She's good now, cleans herself, walks around as much as she can, and pecks at the ground. The thing is, if she has/had and upper respitary infection, why have none of the other birds shown symptoms of it? Since she got sick, I have noticed they sneeze, but that's it. It seems like normal sneezing sounds to me, nothing dramatic, nothing that happens often. So anyone have any what's up with the heavy breathing and bubbles in her eyes? She doesn't have bubbles in her eyes anymore, but her breathing does still look a little heavy to me, but I don't hear her breathing anymore for the most part. It's been almost 3 weeks since she got ill, I would except the other birds to be sick by now too.

Also what baffles me is that I read that these infections are triggered by stress or can be once a chicken is exposed to a sick bird. But, why didn't they all get sick when I first moved them in? I don't have wild birds that can manage to fly into the shed. Unless my birds are carriers just don't show signs? No point in culling them all though since the possibilty of them getting it again is highly likley since they free range. So better to just use prevantive measures.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. Jrose

Jrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Not sure what the illness was, but IF it was viral, she may have been hit harder due to her crippled condition, whereas the other birds faught it off no sweat.
    If it was an infection, implying a bacteria, that's not really contagious. She could have breathed in or ingested the bacteria, resulting in infection. But same thing here- maybe all the birds were exposed to the same bacteria, but her immune system may be compromised and she was hit harder.

It'd be interesting to hear from others on this.

3. elizabet253

Sep 7, 2014
    I was thinking bacterial, but I spent a few days researching upper respiatory infections and most of them are vital and kind of rare I guess for it to be bacterial. It did happen right after she got her eye poked out, it bled. But but her eye only improved as the days passed, never got worse, maybe only slightly swollen at the most. And I'm not sure why her crippled leg would cause her to have a suppressed immune system? And like I said, two birds died on me for other causes, showed no signs of an infection, and obviously were to be more Likley to not be able to fight anything off.

4. Jrose

Jun 6, 2013
    When you say the Ameraucana pooped out an egg- there was yolk in her droppings? This is internal laying. Genetic, no cure. Not all internally laying hens poop yolk out, some do though. Most have stool issues, lethargy, up and down with health, and either sudden or really drawn out death. If these birds were of the same genetics/breeder there's probably a major issue with the supplier's birds. The third bird, the crippled one, could have immune compromise if she didn't have fair access to nutrition growing up (bullied, bottom of pecking order, etc). Just a thought. If her condition is genetic or related to poor incubation, as opposed to injury, then there's a fair chance she may have other things wrong with her.

IF the first two hens did die from internal laying, especially if they're all from the same source, there's a chance this girl has the same issue. If her immune system was upset (by the eye injury), it could've allowed the infection from internal laying to get out of hand. When the eye healed, her body was able to fight off the infection better. I once had a chicken linger for over a year laying internally. She was able to pass/lay most of her eggs, but yolks were still dropping into her abdomen from time to time. She would go through a few days of illness (weak, lethargic, laying or standing puffed, heavy breathing, comb discoloration, etc), and just as I would be about to put her down she'd bounce back like nothing happened. It finally caught up with her in the end. She was an awesome chicken :/ I've only ever lost hens to internal laying. I think it's more common than people realize, just often goes undiagnosed. An autopsy can tell you if it's internal laying, or if there's any yolk in the droppings or the smell of egg when the hen dies.

5. elizabet253

Sep 7, 2014
    No I meant she popped an egg out for the first time in weeks. They're all different breeds. I'm guessing someone bought them from a feed store and raised them, then sold them. What is this internal laying that you are taking about though?

6. Jrose

Jun 6, 2013
    I won't explain it technically, but from my understanding it's where there's a tear or deformity in the reproductive organs, allowing yolk to drop down into the abdomen. This doesn't really hurt the hen, but after enough yolk accumulates, it rots and forms an infection that kills the hen.. I've purchased 10 local 'factory' hens (i.e. mass production, no attention to genetics), and 5 have died of internal laying over the last 3 years. I'm worried about 2 of the remaining 5. Both lay fairly consistently, but they are just off, act lethargic some days, act like their bodies hurt, just like all of my other hens who went down from an IL infection. I will note that all the dead hens and these 2 hens of concern are/were all sexlinks or sexlink crosses. I brooded a few dozen from breeders last spring, hopefully these girls will be much healthier. So far so good :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by