Any one have luck with hatchery silver laced wyandottes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by amartinlb, Jan 22, 2010.

1. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Anyone get slw from ideal or meyer or murray hatchery? We purchased slw last year Pullets only. They were all poorly colored and 4 were males! I want to try again - just want nice ones not show birds.

2. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I Accidentally got a roo from MPC but he was very handsome so I would imagine the hens might look nice as well.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have an SLW rooster and 2 hens from a hatchery.
    My rooster is gorgeous and my hens are really pretty too except their lacing is a bit substandard.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  4. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    I ordered my birds from MPC, and included 4 SLW. 2 are pretty nice, 2 not so much. 1 of the not so nice, also had an Eagle beak, but that seems to be righting itself as she gets older. All of them have the nice round shape to them.

5. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mine came from MPC, so really Meyer's.

She's much smaller than my Blue Wyandottes, and not particularly friendly, nor does she lay much, and they're kind of small eggs...

BUT, her coloring came out better than I had hoped! Sorry the pics aren't great. She doesn't really like me. You can have her if you want her!

6. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Oh, I didn't see you were at the Jersey Shore. I'm in Philly, and I'm down that way on occasion. You can honestly have her! I'm trying to reduce my numbers a bit.

7. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    We used to have them when we first began raising poultry. This was many years ago but we got them from McMurray hatchery. They were nice for hatchery stock!

Brandon

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I got ten Silver Laced Wyandottes from Murray McMurray Hatchery - They're on the second post in my blog (link is in my signature) They all turned out females, and to my judgement, they're the hardiest of all the breeds I got from Murray McMurray. All my other breeds from them had some sort of casualty or another. Some even had 100% mortality rate. As for looks - They're not too bad. The only downside to mine were the tails being too long and high set, and the lacing on a couple being too partial. Otherwise, after 6 months of age their personalities settle well and their egg laying is fantastic. Most of them have very good coloring.

The photos on my blog are of them at 5 months, though. I'll get some new ones tomorrow. It takes about 5 plus months for the lacing to settle into the adultly feathers. At a young age you really aren't sure as to how the lacing will turn out.

9. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    We received ours from Ideal. They have survived the winter with no probs...here are their pics. I ordered 2 pullets and received 2 pullets [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Her tail looks a little "thin" due to the bullying that occured from our other SLW, they are always battling over the alpha position [​IMG]

10. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

These are my 2 SLW that I purchased from Ideal last February....and yes, one of them has a single comb and not a rose comb. Even though the don't meet the SOP, I'm very happy with both their personality & their egg-laying abilities.

Sister #1
    [​IMG]

Sister #2
    [​IMG]

I hope these help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by