Any one have Salmon Faverolles?? PIcs??? INfo???

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Shkittles, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm really interested in getting Salmon Faverolles chicks [​IMG] and would like to know what they are like?

1. How well do they lay? (eggs per week)

2. Are males nice to other males?

3. are they fine in the winter ( I live in Ohio)?

4. Are they good mothers?

Any information would be helpful. Thank-You! Also if you have any Pics that would be great. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
  3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Our 2 year olds are all laying an egg almost every day. Once in awhile, one of them misses a day.

They have great temperaments. We don't have a rooster, but have heard nice things about them, too.

They do great in our harsh winters and hot, humid summers. We only have hens, which have very small combs.

They all went broody last year, at least once. They seem to all want to be mothers. [​IMG]

4. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    My faverolle from MM went broody for the first time when she was around 8 mo. old. Then she didn't lay a single egg for almost three months. In her defense, it was winter, and I don't do supplemental lighting. I chose to include the breed because I had read that they have a great temperment and are good winter layers. This is not the case with my Dolly. She's the craziest chicken I've got (not in the good kind of way) and her eggs are much smaller than my EEs. Of course, I wouldn't judge the whole breed based on my one silly chicken.

5. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I have three pullets that aren't laying yet. I think they'll start laying in the next month or two, they're about 17 weeks old now. They came from Ideal and their coloring isn't exactly breed standard but they are still really cute. They squawk very loudly, and they don't seem to like to be held. BUT my toddler can capture them easily, and they are so funny and curious--they are the ones who follow me into the garage to refill the feeder, chatting away the entire time at me, they also come when called, and they hop up on the back porch and call me over to the door to come out and give them treats.

Here is one of them:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  6. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    I have two pullets from Ideal, they are 10 months old now. They have been laying all winter, an egg a day to every other day. I only have two left of the original 4. One was a cross-beak and I had to cull, the other was eaten by a Red Tail Hawk. She was the silliest of the 3. The other two are getting tamer as they age, they are not as mellow as the Speckled Sussex or Barred Rocks, but they are not crazy either.
    I want somebody to go broody, I want to try to hatch a goose egg or two!

7. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    Quote:Great photo

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have some salmon faverolles. They are a very friendly, calm, curious breed. Good egg layers also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by