1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any one have Sheep or Goats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AppleCrisp, Nov 25, 2007.

1. AppleCrisp

AppleCrisp Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2007
    Hello.
    Does anyone have sheep or goats? I am interested in them as pets, if I got sheep I would shear and sell their fiber. I'm not sure which I would prefer tho, so if you can give me pro's and con's. I would be interested in getting about 3 or 4. I was thinking a pregnant female adult, and some babies to raise and bottlefeed. What do you think? Thanks. [​IMG]

2. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Hi Apple!
    I have both - sheep and goats. If you are interested in a pet that you can really interact with, I would suggest a goat instead of a sheep. They tend to have more "personality" and are lots more fun.
    Fiber prices tend to vary depending on the demand in your area and the quality of the fleece. I sell mine to handspinners, but when I had a large flock there were times I had to sell to a "wool pool". One year the price was only about 40 cents a pound and wasn't even worth the cost of the gas it took me to go! I'm not trying to discourage you, but you need to investigate before you decide.
    The nice thing about goats is that you can have fresh milk for your family if you chose to breed them. The biggest problem with them is having a VERY secure area that they won't be able to escape from.
    Regardless of which you choose (or both?) keep in mind that you always need to have more than one since they are very social animals. Your plan of getting 3 or 4 is a good start, but be aware that if you decide to milk your goats or raise market lambs you will probably end up with more animals than you originally decided on and should plan your facility so that you can expand it, if necessary. [​IMG]

Edited to add:

If you want strictly pets DO NOT GET MALES unless they have been castrated (They are called wethers).
    An intact buck (male goat) has some disgusting habits and they STINK. I bred one of my does two days ago and she still smells bad from being around him for a few hours! If you want to milk your doe and she is kept around a buck, the milk will take on the odor of the buck and give it an "off" flavor.
    A ram is not a good pet, either. I have had a few over the years that were downright DANGEROUS. Some are OK, but those are the ones that tend to be shy of people and would not make good pets anyway.
    If you consider breeding either sheep or goats, be aware that there is not a big market for bucklings or ram lambs unless you are OK with selling for slaughter. The best time to sell them would be during Ramadan, at Orthodox holidays and to some ethnic markets.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  3. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    We have sheep but they are "hair" sheep (no wool) American blackbellys (barbados) they are great for weed problems but for spinning we have angora bunies [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  4. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I have a friend who just got three sheep. She is a spinner and knitter so she has them for the fiber. And they are very much pets, very sweet and friendly. Two were raised by nuns! I don't know their breeds but could find out if you'd like.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If you have the fences to handle them goats are the easiest to tame and manage.

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I've never had sheep, but I LOVE my goats (even my bucks). They are sweet. relatively inexpensive to keep and greatly entertaining!

The main reason I didn't want sheep is I don't want ANOTHER animal I'd have to clip. The horses are clipping enough for me! Past that, I know nothing about them.

7. AppleCrisp

Nov 16, 2007
    Thanks. Does any one have... Pictures? [​IMG]
    lol
    Umm I think I may be leaning towards sheep because I would really like to get a alpaca or two to mix in the bunch, I heard they mix well. [​IMG] Another reason I was thinking sheep is because they have alot of wool, and it might keep them warmer in winter since it gets to be -45 ish. [​IMG]

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Pictures of our goats are on our website under The Barnyard.

MAN that is cold...!

9. AppleCrisp

Nov 16, 2007
    Yeah, Its gets so cold. It pretty bad... you know you walk to the end of your drive way and your eyelashes freeze shut, and even with all the ski pants, long under wear and down jackets in the world you would still be cold. lol [​IMG]

10. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by