Any one ice fishing?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickendude, Jan 2, 2010.

1. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Finally made it out yesterday on the ice. We only had about 2 hours and got skunked but we still had a great time. So have you been fishing through the ice and what do you fish for. Here in NY I fish for Lakers, Browns. Northern Pike, Walleye And pan fish. The Bass are not in season and can not be intentionally targeted. Her are a couple of pics from yesterday. Good luck to all who will be on the ice this winter!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I'm so envious! I have always wanted to try it! I don't know who in the world I'd ever find to go with me! [​IMG]

3. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Quote:Come on up we'll go to northern WI. Bring your long undies it's well below zero this morn. Get out of the truck and you'll know instant BRAIN FREEZE!! [​IMG]

4. gudrin

gudrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I used to go with my dad all the time, but now not so much. I do go when I'm at my folks' house though. He goes spearing for northerns though. Does that count? He's probably sitting out in the dark house right now listening to some music and watching the hole for a fish to come in.

5. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Quote:Of course it counts we spear sturgeon over this way on Winnebago. It's alot of fun but also can be very boring depending on the group your with. Mike

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Im sure I could go on some of the ponds this week. Wish yall would keep your cold weather up north. Im freezing.

7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    i am afraid of the ice.... i am not talking at the skating rink... i am talking about being on a big open body of water.... [​IMG] NO WAYYYYY DH loves the show ice road truckers and i say all the time they are crazy. My aunt lives on a lake and in the winter this is used for ski-dos and a few years ago I was on the back of one and I told my uncle my fears and he promised i would not even know when we were on the ice... duh.. when the trees run out the water begins... i bailed off the end of the machine.... nope no way.. and now I wont let my kids go up in the winter... I cant trust that my kids are not going to go through the ice

every year, in the summer its how many lives were taken by drinking and driving... and in the winter its how many lives were taken by the ice you can never tell what the ice is doing on the underside and the conditions change from day to day... [​IMG]

I am not knocking ice fishing please dont misunderstand... i just cant go on ice...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  8. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I live near a large lake on the Mississippi river where numerous "shanty towns" pop up each winter, a la Grumpy Old Men (that was filmed on a lake on the Mississippi north of here). When I was a kid we had a two hole, insulated plywood shanty with a wood stove made from an old milk can. You don't see too many of those type of shanties anymore. Most people use the portable, nylon type and take them home with them now. I haven't been out there this season, although my brother and my youngest son have been out a few times.

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:In Ontario? How much can it change? Once you get some good ice it should be good for the rest of the winter. I've seen them drive loaded dump trucks across the ice here...

10. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:In Ontario? How much can it change? Once you get some good ice it should be good for the rest of the winter. I've seen them drive loaded dump trucks across the ice here...

yep so have I... but I also remember riding my bike with the kids on new years day. They test my local lake 2x a day drill in a few places and measure... i have seen them open the ice fishing in the morning and close it just after noon because the ice was unsafe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by