Any one in North East have Sebrights? YAY he said yes to Sebrights!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by conroy, Feb 5, 2009.

1. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    I hope I posted this in the correct area. I would like to purchase some Sebrights. [​IMG] My husband is less than keen on the idea for a couple reasons. The first is that they aren't great layers... I told him I don't care they are pretty. [​IMG] The second reason, and the reason for my post, is that they are not considered winter hardy birds. We live on LI and winters can be pretty cold. Our coop is not heated but so far our chickens seem to be doing fine... record laying days as a matter of fact.....Is there anyone else in the NE that has Sebrights? Cause if you are out there I'd like you to please respond to this thread with any feedback. Hopefully, all feedback will be positive so I can show him and convince him to let me get some.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    anybody??? [​IMG]

3. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Well, I'm in the South, so our winters aren't nearly as cold as yours, but mine do fine in our winter temps. As for laying, mine just started laying about 3 months ago. I've got 5 hens with 1 roo, and I was picking 5 eggs a day for a while. Then I had a couple of hens go broody, so it kinda messed up things, but other than that they seem to be good layers. I've read that they are hard to hatch, but not so, I'm hatching them like crazy. I've also read that they don't go broody, not so with mine. I've had 3 go broody in the past 2 weeks.
    Anyway, just wanted to give you my opinion of them. I really like them alot.

Paula

4. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    Just curious.. what are your winter temps?

5. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I have just hens now (the roo was the meanest bird I ever had) and I live in NH. We have cold winters.......my birds have never had a problem. In January, we had a week of -15 to -21 below and everyone was ok. I make sure to give them cracked corn in the morning and at night, to help warm them up and I leave them in thier coop. On days it is warmer (zero and above with little or no wind) they are allowed out to "free range". Haha....the just lay around the barn with the llamas and cows, thier idea of winter free ranging. I think you will do fine with them on LI. Good luck. I say, just get some, and by the time hubby notices, it will be too late. [​IMG]
    Oh yes......mine are very poor layers.

6. hippichick

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Quote:Temps here usually get into the 30s. Not to say we don't have colder. It does get colder, but doesn't stay cold for long. As for the roo being mean, mine isn't, but maybe some are, don't know. I have them in a pen in my breeding coop with a run attached. They stay outside in the pen more than inside. I really don't have any complaints about mine. I have the Golden Sebrights, and would like to also get the Silver in the future, so I guess I do like them.

Paula

7. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    Thanks guys... I came so close to ordering some last night...

8. hippichick

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Quote:Go ahead, order them. You need them........[​IMG]

Paula

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Go ahead, order them. You need them........[​IMG]

Paula

Here's the address of someone who can probably steer you to a local breeder. There's a fellow named Herb Rogers who lives somewhere on LI-he has some of the best Sebrights in the country. Wish I had his contact info for you but maybe Mart Ann can provide it.
    I have raised Sebrights in upstate NY where it gets much colder than it does on the Island. They're a hardier bird than you might think.

Sebright Club of America
    Mary Ann Bonds
    PO Box 136
    Ila, GA 30647
    phone: 706-789-2869

10. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    aren't you guys helpful?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by