Any one know how long it takes for drakes to get their curly feather?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animallover1, May 18, 2010.

1. animallover1

animallover1 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Ive got anconas and pekins and they are almost fully featherd ive had them for about 5 weeks and the guy i got them from said they were about three weeks old when we got them. Just curious if any one could help me with a time frame of when they will get their drake feather in. Thanks in advance!

2. fours2many

fours2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    Well, I am no expert but...my pekins just turned 7 and 9 weeks. I have only just started to see the drake feathers this week. I am pretty sure out of four, 3 are drakes [​IMG]

You should be able to tell if they are 8 weeks old. Maybe take a picture from the side and post them. I am sure the duck experts will let you know what you have.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    In the mean time while you are wiating for those feathers to grow in..You can try listening to them. You should be able to tell from their voices by now. Ducks are louder than the drakes who have a more raspy voice.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have 4 ducklings that are 10 weeks old and though none have the curly tail feathers only 2 quack. The other two are still peeping with no quack so i figure those are boys. I am glad my Runner is quacking. I love Runners and so wanted a girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by