any one know were to get cheap fish tanks for about 11 to 15 fish?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Johnn, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    ?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I see used 5-20 gallon fish tanks fairly often at second hand stores.
    Value Village, Goodwill, and St. Vincent de Paul. You would want to be sure they hold water, and clean them thoroughly.
    Sometimes I see smaller tanks with all the needed equipment at pet stores pretty cheap.

Imp

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    First question is, what kind of fish?
    15 goldfish are going to need a WAY larger tank than 15 guppies.

Check your local paper. Check craigslist. Yardsales.

Post a "wanted ad". The price range I usually hear is $1/gallon if there is a stand included. $0.50/gal for just the tank. These prices are used, of course. [​IMG]

ALWAYS do a fill test before buying a used tank. Check carefully for any leaks or bowing of the glass. If the tank has a center brace, check that it is solid. Don't want to come home to 150gallons of water on the floor.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I would check your local craigslist.

5. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    I'd go with Craigslist or Freecycle.org - on Freecycle, if you don't see what you're looking for you can always post a request. Whatever you get from it is FREE! If someone responds to your ad, they're not allowed to charge you for it....

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Aquariums are pretty easy to come by. Check Craiglist, your local treasure hunt, newspaper, etc. Petsmart has pretty good deals usually too. Depending on the type of fish it is, you could get a ten gallon between $10 and $20. I paid $20 for a full setup with filter and everything. 20 gallons are not that much larger. Also, if you just need something temporarily to contain them, a large rubbermaid container works great and it's cheap. Again, really depends on the type of fish.

7. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Petco has a sale.. 1$ per gallon every month.. so 100 gallon tank for 100 bucks! Pretty good deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by