Any one know what breed they might be???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cher145s, Mar 3, 2011.

1. cher145s

cher145s Hatching

Mar 3, 2011
    Hello Everyone

Okay this is what i need to find out. I have acquired some chicken eggs that have now hatched.. looked all over in books and other sites to figure out what breed they are. I have pictures of them they are just getting their pinfeathers in... could use some help identifying them... not to sure if they are true breeds or just a mutt makes no difference to me. They are still cute as a button..I am thinking possible in the Wyandotte family because of the markings... then I thought bantam but the eggs were to big???? need some kind of idea what breed they are and hoping for some help. I uploaded some pictures on my page ( I hope ) kinda new at this...
    Thanks everyone
    Cheryl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DKM

DKM In the Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Alabama
    Sorry I don't have a clue, but they sure are cute! Good luck! I just love babies![​IMG]

3. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Songster

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    Well, I'm no expert and maybe someone else with more knowledge will chime in here. They are cute little buggers, aren't they!!!

But my "guess" would be a cross between Buff Orphington and Barred Rocks. I have both breeds and I can imagine they would look like this if I crossed them. That's just my guess thou.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    What makes you think they're Wyandottes? That's not lacing you see there if that's what you're wondering. [​IMG]

The coloration looks to be a cross of wheaten and duckwing, with a couple pure Wheatens in there. Either they're a Wheaten colored breed or indeed are mutts.

But as an FYI - I see a male in there as well as a definite wheaten female.

5. cher145s

cher145s Hatching

Mar 3, 2011
    What makes you think they're Wyandottes? That's not lacing you see there if that's what you're wondering. smile

The coloration looks to be a cross of wheaten and duckwing, with a couple pure Wheatens in there. Either they're a Wheaten colored breed or indeed are mutts.

But as an FYI - I see a male in there as well as a definite wheaten female.

so you think Wheaten or duckwing.... I am going to see if I can find some pictures on line.. whooooo hoooo its a start such cute little buggers!! [​IMG])

which one did you think was the male??​

6. snowbird

snowbird Crowing

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Almost look lke either Speckled Sussex or mix. Don

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're not Speckled Sussex - Having white tips on the feathers is not indicative of mottling, it is indicative of duckwing or wheaten patterning.

Bottom photo, to the left in front looks to be a male.

8. CN Farms

CN Farms Hatching

Mar 3, 2011
    I think they maybe Red they look almost exactly like my Illinois reds when hatched

9. ddroland

ddroland Chirping

Oct 15, 2010
    Eastern PA
    Your really not going to be able to tell until they are fully feathered, they could be anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: