Any One Know What This Could Be?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicklette 1, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    I have a golden buff hen who is almost one year old and had been consistently laying a huge(3.75 to 4.oz) egg every day. Today I found a soft shelled egg on the poop board with a hole in the top of it about the size of the head of a tack. The size led me to believe that it was my golden buff. Sure enough she has had some strange poops........very watery and I think clear then one that was light yellow with some solid greenish. She is definitely not feeling well, as she did not eat the treats and when she finally went outside, she stayed on her own and did not go with the other girls. They are all in a large pen so I can watch them for behavior changes. She wanted to be in a nest and I have seen her drink water twice. She is not one to go broody so combined with her other symptoms, I think she is sick. She did lay and egg yesterday that was perfect. What should I do or look for? Help please

2. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Update......Just checked her again and while I was holding her she squirted out clear fluid. I had been palpating her stomach to see if it seemed bloated or hard, neither of which I think was her issue. I held her for quite a while and she squirted a little more fluid. When I finally put her down, she just stood there and did not move for several minutes like she was in a daze. The liquid was clear on the paper towel and had no solid parts and no odor. She has no odor either but smells like a healthy hen. Could this just be a case of diarhhea?? Her respiration is normal and she fell asleep in my arms while i was petting her.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  3. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Isn't there any one who can help. Using common sense, it seemed wise to give her some electrolytes, so I gave hers water mixed with some of the Chick Saver powder which also has vitamins . I hand fed her but she ate very little. I used a dropper for the enhanced water. I don't know if it is good or bad that she squirted clear fluid. I want to think it is good. I seem to be having this conversation all by myself. I know it is Easter but not even 1 response???

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I posted a reply but it did not go through. I can not help you but you seem to be on the right track as you said with common sense. It is Easter and not many are doing posting. I wish you good luck with this. I just wish I knew what was wrong with your hen. It maybe an infection by something but I do not know. [​IMG] Don't give up maybe tonight someone who knows will write a reply. Gloria Jean

5. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Thank you for responding crazyhen. I'll just keep checking.

6. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Give her some gatorade.Do you worm your birds 2 times per year?Doesn't sound like worms,but they should be wormed.After the gatorade give her and all your birds terrimycin or durimycin,whatever you have available.If she won't drink the mycins,get a syringe and put a little bit of mycin into a mealworm or 2.They can't resist a nice juicy mealworm.They also should have some grit available at all times.
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    Sorry I cant help much, sorry you are on the forums in need, on a slow day !

Try these links.... I just was reading them yesterday, maybe you can find something in there to help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=490681

Good poo site:
    http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0
    Soft-shelled eggs:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publicati … lless-eggs
    http://www.blpbooks.co.uk/articles/egg_problems/egg_problems.php

Last edited by Celtic Druid (Yesterday 7:03 pm)

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Hmmmmmmm. i'm not sure what the watery poo means. Is it all water and nothing else? How long has she been acting off? How is her keel bone? Does she feel thin?

i would worry about her not eating or being interested in treats. Diagnosis is hard from a distance, and it can be any number of things. She may have another egg backed up inside. My chickens, and ducks, will seem off when they have an egg coming down the chute that they need to pass. Some of them exhibiting quite alarming symptoms, like inability to walk until the egg passes.

Can you get her into a vet tomorrow? In the meantime, whenever i have a sick chicken (or duck or anything) i bring it inside in a crate or cage and put a heat lamp on one end so they can stay warm if they need. Vitamins in water, chopped up hard boiled eggs, and watch for any additional symptoms.

Sorry you weren't getting responses. i guess a lot of people are having Easter parties so not much action on the site. i'm working on painting a bedroom and hopping on the internet during breaks.

9. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    How old is she? Are any of your other birds looking listless, or "off"? Is it possible that she got hold of something bad to eat? Any damp feed around anywhere? Do they free range? If they've never been wormed, you may want to give that some thought. I would continue to give her vitamin/electrolyte water if possible. And maybe offer soft foods to begin with to tempt her to eat. Sorry, I can't be of more help, but many things can cause loose stools. Keep us updated. Good luck.

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    What is your weather like? i looked on that poo website and it sounds like watery poo can be expelled when it's very hot outside. My only other source of reference was a silky hen i had who was doing watery poo with bright green bits. Turned out she had liver cancer. But that doesn't sound like the case with your hen. i'm just wracking my brain to come up with some possible answers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by