Any one seen this Muscovy color before !?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LMEggs, Dec 18, 2010.

1. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    How about this color ?? Ever seen this before ? Got pics anyone ?
    Heres my... Spangled??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

A good soaping may help. [​IMG]
    Just kidding. Do you have a full picture of your bird?

3. LMEggs

May 4, 2008
    [​IMG]

4. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Do you know how your bird was bred LMEggs?

5. LMEggs

May 4, 2008
    The pen of birds this young drake came from had a Black white head hen and a black hen frosted white face and a Silver barred pied hen and a blue pied hen and a blue pied drake and a black and white pied drake and the siblings of this drake born same day
    Chocolate hen
    [​IMG]

and this odd colored one... Buff ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the drake in subject when he was younger
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  6. rollyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Ahhh, your doing my head in........putting aside some of the white for the moment, your breeding pen had two black hens, a silver barred hen & a blue pied hen, mated two two drakes > a blue pied & a black pied?

At least one of your drakes obviously has the recessive sex-linked chocolate gene hidden doesn't he because chocolate has expressed in female progeny. None of the breeding ducks you have described sound like they have choc because if they did you would see some evidence of it, ie, your blacks would be chocolate, your silver barred hen would be lilac, & your blue pied hen would be blue fawn. Regardless, even if they (descibed females) did have choc they wouldn't pass it onto any female progeny would they, only drakelets (sex-linked gene).

Your subject drakeklet is possibly pure for blue, ie, silver, & if so, would have to have come from your blue pied drake & either your silver barred or blue pied hens! The pattern may be related to minor expression of one of the patterning genes, eg barring, or it may not? He also appears a little uneven due to moulting? I had a blue/white duck a couple of seasons ago that had a similar pattern on secondaries/coverts/scapulars that were lost with juvenile plumage. The gene for barring may or may not have been in my birds, but having bred mostly white, had never seen any other evidence of it before in the few coloured birds I have bred.

7. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Your boy looks to be a Blue Fawn/Lilac... is he molting right now?

Here's a picture of my Sidney as a "baby", he has the same color spots but he's Blue.
    [​IMG]
    As a big boy: (he was pale because this was just after he recovered from a paralyzing illness)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  9. rollyard

Jan 31, 2010
    There does look to be some expression of brown in your subject drakelet (particularly when younger), & was wondering (although omitted to mention it above) if what were seeing was the influence of one dose of the recessive sex-linked chocolate gene? Or maybe description of your silver barred &/or blue pied ducks (females) incomplete?

It would be interesting to see photos of these two ducks (silver barred & blue pied) wouldn't it!

10. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

The muscovy in the second pictures is a silver barred if I am not mistake?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by