Any one use a Brinsea Mini Advance with turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rilly10, Jun 16, 2010.

1. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Hi everyone!

I just set 7 eggs in my brand new incubator which is a Brinsea Mini Advance w. turner. Does anyone have experience with this model?

If so, what do you think? Any hints for a newbie would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. CindyG

CindyG Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm pretty new to this as well, and I have the Mini Advance. It doesn't need much water to get the humidity up, the first time I used it, I think my humidity was way to high, three of seven eggs hatched, one died in the shell and three were scrambled (they were shipped eggs). The second time, I upped the temp just a bit and didn't put water in till lockdown, and did much better, hatched five big chicks, very cleanly and fully developed, (also shipped eggs). I have Serama eggs in it now, only on the fourth day so keeping my fingers crossed.

3. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I just ordered serama eggs for mine! Do they fit in the tray that came with it or do you have them in the smaller egg tray that fits 12? How many serama eggs do you have in yours?

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, I have a larger one, a Brinsea Advanced Octagon 20 Automatic, and have used it to hatch duck and turkey eggs so far. Pricey, yes, like $450 total, but worth it -- far, far more reliable than my dumb old foam Hovabator that would spike and crash all the time with temps, and was either drippy wet or bone dry inside from one evening to the next morning. I've got button quail cooking in there now.

It's so nice to go in and check the thing and see it's EXACTLY the temp I want it, within +- 0.2 degrees, and EXACTLY the humidity I set it at within +- 2%.

The dang thing even has alarms if things go wrong, but they've never gone off yet for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by