Any one with Experience with FarmNyard.com chicken coops

bluefrog87

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
I am looking for a chicken coop. I got hurt in the military so building the whole thing would not be a good option for me. I just want 3-4 chickens and I have a little coop and a run. I think The run would not be too bad to build but the coop would be a bit much. I'm hoping to do a open coop with a predator proof run. The run would be enclosed on all 6 sides. I'm looking at the "american patriot" or "mini coop" and maybe add the nest box and electric features

Has anyone had any experience with these guys? How was your experience?

im sorry i dont have info on that brand but i will tell you,#1 thank you for your service and #2 they sell a small coop at tractor supply for 150 and a run for? i bought one of these and the wood is made very cheaply and it is not big enough for more then 2 hens. i only use it now for a brooder. it also needed to be painted even though it said it didnt. the best thing i could tell you is to ask for material samples as you would be buying sight unseen. surely someone around you could build a small coop for less than you would pay for new.there is a lot of homemade coops on here that are awesome. some made from just pallets.for me, figuring it out and smacking it together is half the fun.if you can build a run you can build a box! from experience, the run is much harder, too many staples! i even have seen a dog house in a dog kennel. i belive they did attach chicken wire to the bottom, zip ties and if digging predators are a problem then they can bury some of the wire too. what ever you decide, enjoy!!!

You might think about buying a shed and retrofitting it for chickens.

Most premade coops are not worth the money, cheaply built, too small, etc.

Last edited:
Premade coops aren't my first option but building one would be a little much and the shed would cost more and have more work. I want just under dozen eggs a week with either an australorp or orpington flock so it's only for 2-3 birds. I think I can get my husband make it mobile with hardware cloth covered run (predator proof of course).

the coop is american patriot 6 birds
http://farmnyard.com/

Has anyone had any experience with these coops specifically?

I haven't but I have seen a lot of their videos on YouTube and they seem to know what they are doing, lights and electric are good options I like the heated roost seems like a good deal for $200 it would cost you more to build one yourself.

am i missing something? i went to the heated roost and saw nothing, a pic of a fireplace. is it elect? how much does it use
he didnt know a "little chicky place " was a run. he stuttered and was unprofessional. the coops didnt have any specs. that i could see and everything was an option. i was not impressed. what kind of wood is used? is it treated, there is no run under it. add your own. theres no runners add your own. im afraid you would end up building it yourself anyway.

If you look at the 2-8 coops I'm thinking of getting the 6 american patriot. I'm not looking for prebuilt just mostly decent kit (hard find I know).

The options are cheaper on the smaller coops because of smaller spaces. The ones I consider is the fiberglass floor, nesting box and electrical package. I live in texas. It can get cold but not that cold.

I can't explain their marketing or website design. I'm just trying to find good kit and have my husband build the run. A chicken run/coop assembly isn't too bad but the entire thing would be a nightmare. (husband has very basic carpentery skills and in honesty i'm better but can't so it drive me nuts).

It would be very helpful if you may know some good kits?

you know, i dont but, i will help you look. i, like you have a husband that is not very handy like myself with a hammer, but he does have a fascination with tools so that makes it easy on me.lol being in texas i imagine your predators are the small ones? do you need a bottom on the run?

you know, i dont but, i will help you look. i, like you have a husband that is not very handy like myself with a hammer, but he does have a fascination with tools so that makes it easy on me.lol being in texas i imagine your predators are the small ones? do you need a bottom on the run?
i found a couple i thought were well made but dont take just my word for it please. williams-sonoma , good wood, better chicken coop, pricey, and have you looked at texas ranch coops? a lot of info on there as well as coops. hope this helps.

My predators for texas are coyotes, racoons, possums, my one of my lovely dog, and possibly snakes. The bottom run would be preffered. If it doesn't have it, I'll nail hardware cloth to the bottom,

Another builder I looked at is https://mobilechickencoops.com/Mobile_Coops.html and add the enclosure and welded wire floor. It's in Austin and I'm in dallas

Go figure, I got dog I could leave in the coop and it be fine. The other one not so much. They are 2 border collies and my older one views chickens as sheep.

Back
Top Bottom