any one?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Littlecimarron18, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    have any of you dyed your chicks?
    Ok so i know this topic has 2 very different sides. but for my FFA class i am bringing in my incubator and we are going to hatch out chicks, we did this last year too but we are going to try to color the chicks so we can tell which rooster they came out of, and hopefully it will give us a better idea of the breed. Anyways, i was practicing on some rooster and when i candled there was an air bubble in the albumen.. is that ok? and any pointers on how to not crack the shell? i have some 20 ga. needles from the farm store, but i was thinking maybe i need some insulin needles or something. any help would be much appreciated.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Are you willing to kill or damage these babies for this? I would think there would be an easer less invasive way to tell who is who. Hopefully you find something .[​IMG]

3. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Tag your chicks with neon tyes you can get at lowes. You can write on the tyes. Don't dye the poor chickies.

4. Ducati

Ducati Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    i would not dye them. seems a little inhumane

5. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    i m really not sure waht to do as of right now, but with the incubator at school, its hard to tell which is which since im not in that class all day to watch, and some hatch over night. the dyes i'll be using are just food coloring, and i dont think they will harm the chick.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

That won`t hurt them at all. I would use the small needles though.......Pop

7. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    sticking anything in the egg can cuase damage , bactira can be introduced, air bubble that may or may not be harm full , ect not to mention acidintly sticking the chick.
    I read something on here from someone that divides up his eggs with something in the bator cant remmber what , wire mesh or something that goes from the bottom screen to just under the heating element so they stay put, why do you have to tell what eggs hatched ?

8. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    Its for my animal science class and we are trying to guess the breeds, mixes really. So we can kind of guess the hens breed by the e g g s but the rooster is yet to be determined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by