Any Opinions on Black Sex-Links?

rmurrayslcut

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2013
South Jordan, UT
Hello Everyone,

I'm a die-hard RIR raiser. Tonight, whilst buying my new Spring flock, I went for Black Sex-Links (aka Black Stars, Rock Reds). I didn't do it blindly; I've done a little research, but I wondered what your experience has been like. I'm especially interested in those who've had both BSLs and RIRs.

The chicks seem active, friendly, less spastic than the RIRs I've had in the past. What are their eggs like? Size? Frequency? Anything else?

I have a 4 week old Black Sexlink named Luna. She has really great personality, and will be very pretty. I've done my research, and it seems like they're a good breed. Good luck!

So, I don't have a RIR (instead I have a Production Red). But I do have a Black Sex Link. She's a very pretty girl, and friendly, too. As far as egg size, hers is on the smaller side...perhaps more like medium in size? And frequency, well...she's a decent layer and all, but if you want an everyday layer or one that lays large(r) eggs, I'd go with a Barred Rock or Amberlink.
To be fair, she probably does lay about six a week on average in her prime, but she's still not my best layer, or top pick for lots of eggs (I would definitely choose Barred Rocks for that). I don't know, I guess with her being a (hybrid) sex link and all, I just kinda' expected more from her, like laying every single day and hardly ever taking a day off (but I'm assuming Red Sex Links are better in that area).

I have a handful of RIR hens, although they were sold to me as wyandottes. I also have a duo of black sex links, which were accurately marked. The black sex links are in my "just layer" groups, along with the RIR hens. Both are good layers in hot weather, which is important when you live in the South. I find them reasonable hens in the coop.

However, I had said at the outset of the current phase of chicken keeping that I did not and would not have any RIR chickens. It wasn't that I had anything against the hens so much as the roosters are seriously bad boys. Their rooster is a silkie, which does not have the "bad boy" tendencies of a RIR. I am obviously not breeding these chickens, they are strictly our layers for

Neither breed is particularly friendly, but I also did not raise them as pets. In the past, I have found RIR hens to be great layers, mildly flighty, with excellent heat tolerance. RIR and Barred Rocks were always our standby breeds for their ability to deliver even when temps went triple digits. Obviously they had shade and water. This is my first year with the black sex links. Mine are all an attractive black with reddish feathers on their breasts. They are very similar in personalities to the RIR, both lay brown eggs, both like to roost off the ground, etc.

I'm no expert on either one. I had a strong dislike of the RIR, although these hens have reminded me of why I used to keep them (and murder the roosters!) I actually breed and raise salmon faverolles and silkies (hence the "spare" silky roo.)

These 2 I bought from tractor supply and was told they're black sex links. As you can see they have different color patterns from what I read I believe one of them is a pullet and the other is a cockerel. They are about 8 weeks old. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190424-092702_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190424-092702_Gallery.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20190424-092857_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190424-092857_Gallery.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20190424-092817_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190424-092817_Gallery.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20190424-093024_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190424-093024_Gallery.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20190424-092628_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190424-092628_Gallery.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 8
Probably one of the other best breeds to go with Rhode Island reds as they tend to both be pushy and quite aggressive.All the Bsl hens I’ve owned (And roosters)were friendly,escpecially the male, but I created him using my own two birds who both had good personalities.The hens were very dominant and one defiantly had rooster charaistics,and often would square off with the dominant rooster for no reason at all.She was so dominant the roosters even looked at her as a threat and often ran her off .Mine were loud and later pretty well.The eggs were a almost pinkish color if I remember correctly actually and large.Very dominant birds.

One is a bsl and the other is Easter egger, the one with a beard is a Easter egger, big look to be hens
These 2 I bought from tractor supply and was told they're black sex links. As you can see they have different color patterns from what I read I believe one of them is a pullet and the other is a cockerel. They are about 8 weeks old. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
though.

I LOVE my bsl. She’s a daily layer of xl eggs. She’s friendly and dependable. She’s never broody. I will definitely have more of this breed in the future.

Back
Top Bottom