Any Optical surgeons out there? please.....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by English Chick, Nov 25, 2008.

1. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Ok..... age 13 I was hit in the face by a BOY using the branch of a tree.....why...because I did not know where my brothers where for him to "hang" with....the pain was ....I can't describe it.... I ended up losing the sight (fully) in the eye..multiple detachments of the retina...I have have accepted the blindness and live with it.....

That was 42 years ago...over the years a non senile cataract developed...five years ago the hospital wanted too remove the eye...(dont know why other than they said that the "cataract" was holding the eye together and it could implode and destroy the eye.....I refused as it did not bother me.....yeah OK blind in one eye... the other eye has been Ok (middle age etc etc) however six weeks ago the "cataract" changed from milkly white to a very very bright white...people are noticing..."whats wrong with your eye" they haven't noticed before it was virtually un-noticeable unless you looked closely.....I went to the Dr who refered me to the hospital, I had an appointment for the 5th December....lo and behold they ring me today to tell me there are no Dr's at the hospital available and they have to cancel until such times a Dr is available......my problem is - worry - and the fact that a although blind in that I I am starting to "see" flashing lights, and seem to have a lot of pressure in the eye.....anyone help..please...Thanks xx

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am not sure how medicine works over there, but you need to see an opthamologist RIGHTY AWAY! Those flashes could mean antyhing from retina detachment to glaucoma. I am not a doctor, but I can tell you, you need to be seen NOW.

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Oh my, I hope you can get proper medical attention soon. Are you able to just go to an ER?

4. English Chick

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:Nope because it is an old injury, I just have to wait....its the waiting that is driving me nuts!

5. English Chick

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:The opthalmologists are at the hospital who cant see me because no one available at this present time....just a waiting game until they get back to me! Sometimes the NHS is very frustrating!

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:The opthalmologists are at the hospital who cant see me because no one available at this present time....just a waiting game until they get back to me! Sometimes the NHS is very frustrating!

Oh man that really sucks!!! I hope you call and call and call and let them know how serious it is. Is there an emergency center you can go to?

7. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I was telling my opto-- something earlier this year about floaters in my eyes...and if i had to worry? mine are protein particles and they are harmless.

What he said though, was if you start seeing flasing LIGHTS then it's serious and see someone straight away.

I thought you should know...get thee to a dr.

prayers for you.

Love in Christ,
    Gretch

8. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    The first thing I thought was "oh, I hope it's not her good eye that's flashing!"

I hope it's not causing you too much pain. I feel sorry for the way the medical works over there in this case! I know all of us over here would be pounding on the doors of the ER.

It sounds like you might want to prepare yourself to lose that eye or have it lose some shape after all. Since you have no sight there already, hopefully it won't be traumatic for you if that does happen.

Fingers crossed. Please keep us up to date - we all love you and will be thinking of you.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  9. English Chick

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:Thank you Chica, there is no pain, have resigned myself to the fact that I will in all probability lose the eye...yuck!

I love you guys too xx

10. English Chick

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:Thanks Gretch, am going to call the hospital today, methinks they need to get their act together...no Dr's available.....geesh the NHS is going to the dogs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by