1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any optometrists on here?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by guinea fowl galore, Dec 7, 2011.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I had an eye test yesterday and was told that I have high pressure. And apparently this causes glaucoma.
    I'M TOO YOUNG TO GO BLIND. [​IMG]
    Anyway, the optometrist said she'll do more tests, Made a booking for friday. I'm just wondering what kind of tests have to be done. Do they ned to stick sharp things in my eyes? I'm sort of freaking out a little bit.

2. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Awww [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope no sharp things! And I especially hope that the tests come back OK.

I know I was told the same thing once.. when I was like 17 or so.
    But in my case... it was that every time she made the air puff at me... my instinctive reaction was to jump back. Even holding onto the chair with white knuckles.. I couldn't seem to MAKE myself hold still. LOL. Finally she got really disgruntled with me, and after the 4th try with the air-puffy machine... she said "You're pressure is really high but I'm putting it down to you not holding still, you can go" (and I got the hint that meant "Go NOW!") LOL! [​IMG]

3. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Well I was definitely jumping [​IMG] Maybe that could be it. She didn't say anything about that though [​IMG]
    Thanks for giving me something positive to ponder.

4. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    More postitive....

Just googled it... and the test doesen't seem to involve any sharp implements [​IMG] Thats what it said anyway, "Painless".

Also... IF it turns out to be that.. sometimes you only need medicated eye drops to lower the pressure [​IMG] Other treatments include laser surgery. WebMD says that if a patient undergoes treatment before it's severe, theres little chance of blindness.

So never fear [​IMG] It will work out on way or another... but I'm still rooting for jumpers [​IMG]

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    They will blow air on to your eyes surface. That is a standard test for Glaucoma. I would think that you really need to get your blood pressure under control. Blind will be the least of your worries if it isn't under control.

[​IMG]

6. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    It is amazing what the optometrist can see in the eye. Few years back, DH went and the fellow told him he was a mess, if he didn't get the blood pressure and all these other things under control, he'd have a heart attack. Next day, he did. . . he's much better now though, it was a little one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by