Any other animal that I can buy that will keep hawks away?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JordanFamily, Apr 30, 2008.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    I'm moving to a farm and when I was out working on the house several days in a row I noticed several (3) Hawks circling above. I'm going to have bantam chickens and was thinking if there is any animals that I could get to protect my chickens and/or scare off the hawks/ ausprey [​IMG]

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Plastic animated owls they sell at Home Depot might work well. I know I'm afraid of owls, my daughter used to get attacked by one up the road every morning walking to the bus. Not sure which is more dominant though, hawks or owls.

3. JordanFamily

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Would it be a good idea to get some big standard chickens to free range with my bantam chicks ... So the bigger chickens can see and warn my small Polish of danger?

4. Double-T-Family-Farm

Double-T-Family-Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Midwest, Wisconsin
    shot gun sounds good to me.. im glad we dont have that problem.. we had one problem with a owl killing our ducks.. just eating the head..beak and all and leaving the body.. and we put up a net and he got caught and we took him to the dnr and who knows what they diod with it..

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Nope! No good. The hawks will eat the standards too. That's just a bigger buffet. If you can find a dog that won't eat your chickens, then that would probably be your best bet. That is what I am trying to do right now, but I can't figure out which breed of dog will leave my chickens alone! Hmmmm... [​IMG]

6. JordanFamily

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Great Pyrenees is what my grandad told me they always used... I just would think they would be to slow to stop an attack...I guess I'll be looking for a big dog... [​IMG]

7. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    My Welch Corgi is vg with the hens just lays among them. She does have quite a bark.

8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Quote:Nope! No good. The hawks will eat the standards too. That's just a bigger buffet. If you can find a dog that won't eat your chickens, then that would probably be your best bet. That is what I am trying to do right now, but I can't figure out which breed of dog will leave my chickens alone! Hmmmm... [​IMG]

Your best bet is the dog that you "train and socialize" not to bother the chickens.

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    My German Shepherd, Rex, not only guards our free ranging chickens and ducks on our farm but he is an avid hawk watcher and constantly watches the skies. When he sees one, and it's several times a day that he does, he starts out after it barking and carrying on. The other day he chased after one till he was literally foaming at the mouth. He runs underneath them barking and jumping till they fly off. So far so good.

10. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Another option is one that I despise but it does work. Get a few Guinea Hens. They are better than a watch dog and will allert the chickens if ANYTHING spooks them. I don't care for them because EVERYTHING spooks them. They are a bit noisy too keep around but you will know when something strange is around. ( In the mind of the guineas that is.)[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by