Any other beaders or jewelrymakers out there?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Haleth, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Haleth

Haleth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    I lurk on the boards daily (while waiting and dreaming on my eggs) and realized that I've got a chicken fetish to go along with my beadwork addiction. Maybe I can combine them?

I'd like to share tips, pictures, ideas for crafts, etc. And new techniques! I'm always looking for something new to try, and most importantly, incorporate into my own stuff. I'm very good with many of the beading stitches and some jewelry-making techniques, but when it comes to other crafting skills--not so much. Yet. [​IMG]

So, anyone else out there? I'd love to see your stuff!

2. ebwy

ebwy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2009
    UK
    there are a few, I saw some when I read all 200+ pages of the "crafters - what are you making" thread (I think it's called that anyway)

I dabble but I don't have any here or photos.

3. Haleth

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks, ebwy! I didn't make it through all 200 pages. I did a search for "beadwork" and "jewelry" but only came up with a few. (Nice stuff, though!)

Even if you dabble, you probably have some good ideas! Me, I'm still turning over different ways of making beaded chicken beads over in my head. Eggs are easy, but so Eastery. : )

4. Haleth

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    I forgot to add photos in my post--asking others to share and not bothering to myself sheesh--so here's what I'm working on right now.

[​IMG]

5. ebwy

ebwy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2009
    UK
    ooh pretty!

yeah, I dabble in crafts... jack of all trades here! lol

lately all I make are cards and boxes, but that's coz most of my craft stuff is in storage until I find a new home.

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Beading is one of my addictions. I've made woven beaded fish similar to your flowers but that was long ago. Nowadays I do more simple stuff.
    I like combining wooden beads with macrame techniques, using a wooden chicken-shaped bead for a centerpiece. I had thought about trying to sell them on here but the wooden chicken beads are kinda expensive and I was afraid people wouldn't be willing to pay the cost. But I like them and can't stop buying them LOL. They are handmade, so even 2 that look the same are actually a little different due to being carved.
    I also buy lampwork chicken beads from time to time.
    I have cross-stitch chicken pattern books though, and have thought about making some beaded chickens that way. Just haven't found my 'Round tuit' yet LOL.

I'll see if I can find a photo of some things that I've made.

7. Haleth

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    What kind of boxes do you make, ebwy? I've thought about decorating boxes and cards with beads--but buying the cards/boxes already made.

@wegotchickens I'd love to see those pics! I love carved beads and you gave me a good idea. I made polymer clay forms for beaded strawberries, maybe that'd work for chickens? I think I need a Round Tuit, too [​IMG]

8. GrayDragon

GrayDragon Chillaxin

Sep 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh you should make beaded covers for the openings of the eggs when you blow them out, like what Miss Prissy did on her egg ordament project. they could be shaped like the flowers you make which BTW are stunning! you could even make beeded egg sleeves that the eggs sit in and dangle!!!

10. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Beading/jewelry making, ornament making...I love them all but can't hold a candle to your work kiddo! I do belong to a bead kit of the month though that's pretty cool, Simply Beads, through Annie's Attic. For 20.00 a month I get a super nice kit with everything included, there is a website with pictures of some of the projects... http://www.simplybeadskitclub.com/ course you would prbably like ideas shown in the http://www.firemountaingems.com catalog...gorgeous stuff in there and some beautiful beads. I buy mine at Micheal's mostly. Your work is awesome, you should sell out at Christmas [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by