Any Other English Shepherd Owners Here?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by babalubird, Nov 22, 2009.

1. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    We just got a new English Shepherd pup. Drove all the way to Missouri to get him. Very easy to manage pup, a doll. Both parents and these pups were lounging in the front yard when I arrived to get him, with chickens running all around. We had planned to get chickens right away here in the city so he would maintain a connection and I could teach him to herd them in at night. Well, city changed the rules and we can't have them at all now. I hope he can retain it till we move to the farm.

Does anyone else have an English Shepherd? Wanna hear your stories and how they do around your small animals. Thanks. Connie

2. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    Dont have one, but i had to look them up as i have never heard of them... I thought mabie you were talking about an Old english sheep dog but nope :) Very interesting beautiful dog. Im going to look more into them as i really love their *look* and size and personality! Im sorry for your chicken laws changing. Mabie they would make an exception, or you could just try to keep a couple/few so you could keep her 'in touch' with what she already knows. Love to see pics of your pup..hint hint

3. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I'm looking for a English Shepherd breeder in IL or MO. So if you know of any could you please give me their website information. Thanks

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I don't have one but I have worked with one on a farm with Cattle (dairy and beef), barn cats, draft horses, pigs, and chickens. His name is Jet and he is the most obediant and smartest dog I have ever met he works on Essex Farm. I have heard they are so smart that without a good trainer they can get out of control but with a firm hand they can be amazing companions and working dogs. I have heard that their herding instinct isn't a modified predatory instinct like hard eye dogs such as border collies and Aussies. I think their herding and working instinct is built on a pack mentality with the trainer as the leader of the pack the dogs obedience is dependant on your dominance. They are beautiful dogs and amazing farm and companion animals good luck I bet you pup is beautiful.

Henry

5. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
  6. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Where are the pics of the puppy

7. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:????????????

8. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    kinderkorner, I'm sending you a PM as I drove all the way from Texas to Missouri to get this pup. I really liked the family. They just have the one male and female so they are by no means a puppy mill and the family, kids and animals interact all the time. His pups from this litter most likely will be gone but I'd talk to him and maybe get him to contact you when they breed again. He came recommended to me by a relative on my horse chat. It was a good buying experience. He doesn't use his dogs for herding, however, so whether or not you can say the parents are "proven" yet remains to be seen.

hKammack, thanks for that wonderful success story and yet another confirmation that what I have heard about these dogs isn't just the typical breeder hype. Wow! Can't wait to get this little guy employed at the farm.

I will try to take his pictures for his registration tomorrow, but with our busy schedule, I probably can't try to post them till after the holiday. I'm back on my old outdated computer so it will be a challenge. I will probably post them under a new post when I do.

Thanks again, everyone.

Connie

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  9. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    No puppy pictures??

10. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I'm looking for a non herding puppy. [​IMG] If you could give me the information that would be great. I'm really interested. I'm not wanting a puppy right now, but maybe in a year or in a few months. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by