Any other hawaiians out there?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by birdsofparadise, Jan 2, 2009.

1. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Aloha,

Iʻve been looking for other BYC people who are living in Hawaii or similar climates to share their tropical experience with their flocks. Any takers?

Mahalo!

2. silkienewbiegurl

silkienewbiegurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Hey! I live in Hilo! Fancy that we should live on the same island! I'm new to BYC and got a couple chickens just a couple months ago! Drop me a line sometime. [​IMG] Aloha!

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I'm not from Hawaii but I'd sure love to retire there! [​IMG]

4. birdsofparadise

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Quote:We all say that until the first time we pay $10 for just a gallon of milk & a loaf of bread. Having chickens in your backyard seems like a necessity here sometimes.

Paauilo gal and ChickNanny13 like this.
  5. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Wow, and I thought Vermont was expensive! I thought you had some good cattle country/ranches there for items like milk, cheese, butter, etc?

6. birdsofparadise

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Actually, we have the largest ranch in the US. Parker Ranch dates back to Kamehameha I and takes up most of the North & South Kohala Districts here. Surprisingly, while the produce is wonderful, its priced 10 - 20% higher than whatʻs being flown in from the mainland.

I donʻt get it, and Iʻm a dues paying member of the Farm Bureau! The last commercial egg producer on this island closed about two years ago and the sole remaining one (Ka Leo) is located on Oahu. Once again, my cheapest source of eggs is in Yucaipa Valley, CA.

1 person likes this.
  7. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I used to live on the Big Island, if that counts. Spent about 6 months in Kona as a kid, and my senior year at HPA. For a few months I even thought I was going to get to move back (to O'ahu, anyway), but plans change...

8. birdsofparadise

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    The more the merrier CovenantCreek! Aloha.

9. birdsofparadise

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Quote:Tried to send you a personal message twice and I still donʻt think it worked. Let me know if you got it.

10. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Not from the islands, but I'd love to see pics of your birds and coops/setups. If I lived somewhere tropical where the birds could stalk about properly, I'd love to add some of those crazy Malays!

Pics, anyone? I'll send a chunk of grey road ice in return if you're really, really good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by